Clairvoyent Auden

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2004
      From The Poetry Society of America:

      What follows are the Seven Kingdoms of Casear, as told by W.H. Auden in his
      Christmas Oratorio of 1942. Enjoy.

      Great is Caesar: He has conquered Seven Kingdoms.
      The Seventh was the Kingdom of Popular Soul:
      Last night it was Order-Order, to-night it is Hear-Hear;
      When he says, You are happy, we laugh;
      When he says, You are wretched, we cry;
      When he says, It is true, everyone believes it:
      When he says, It is false, no one believes it;
      When he says, This is good, this is loved;
      When he says, That is bad, that is hated.
      Great is Caesar: God must be with him.

      Great is Caesar: He has conquered Seven Kingdoms.
      The Sixth was the Kingdom of Organic Dwarfs:
      Last night it was Ouch-Ouch, to-night it is Yum-Yum:
      When diseases waylay us, They strike them dead;
      When worries intrude on us, They throw them out;
      When pain accosts us, They save us from embarrassment;
      When we feel like sheep, They make us lions;
      When we feel like geldings, They make us stallions;
      Spirit is no longer under Flesh, but on top.
      Great is Caesar: God must be with him.

      Great is Caesar: He has conquered Seven Kingdoms
      The Fifth was the Kingdom of Inorganic Giants:
      Last night it was Heave-Ho, to-night it is Whee-Spree;
      When we want anything, they make it;
      When we dislike anything, They change it;
      When we want to go anywhere, They carry us;
      When the Barbarian invades us, They raise immovable shields;
      When we invade the Barbarian, They brandish irresistible swords;
      Fate is no longer a fiat of Matter, but a freedom of Mind.
      Great is Caesar: God must be with him.

      Great is Caesar: He has conquered Seven Kingdoms.
      The Fourth was the kingdom of Credit Exchange:
      Last night it was Tit-for-Tat, to-night it is C.O.D.;
      When we have a surplus, we need not meet someone with a deficit;
      When we have a deficit, we need not meet someone with a surplus;
      Instead of heavy treasures, there are paper symbols of value;
      Instead of Pay at Once, there is Pay when you can;
      Instead of My Neighbour, there is Our Customers;
      Instead of Country Fair, there is World Market.
      Great is Caesar: God must be with him.

      Great is Caesar: He has conquered Seven Kingdoms.
      The Third was the Kingdom of Infinite Number:
      Last night it was Rule-of-Thumb, to-night it is To-a-T;
      Instead of Quite-a-lot, there is Exactly-so-many;
      Instead of Only-a-Few there is Just-these;
      Instead of saying, "You must wait until I have counted,"
      We say, "Here you are. You will find this answer correct;"
      Instead of a nodding acquaintance with a few integers,
      The Transcendentals are our personal friends.
      Great is Caesar: God must be with Him.

      Great is Caesar: He has conquered Seven Kingdoms.
      The Second was the Kingdom of Natural Cause:
      Last night it was Sixes and Sevens; to-night it is One and Two;
      Instead of saying, "Strange are the whims of the Strong,"
      We say, "Harsh is the Law but it is certain;"
      Instead of building temples, we build laboratories;
      Instead of offering sacrifices, we perform experiments;
      Instead of reciting prayers, we note pointer-readings;
      Our lives are no longer erratic but efficient.
      Great is Caesar: God must be with Him.

      Great is Caesar: He has conquered Seven Kingdoms.
      The First was the Kingdom of Abstract Idea:
      Last night it was Tom, Dick and Harry; to-night it is S's with P's;
      Instead of inflextions and accents
      There are prepositions and word-order;
      Instead of aboriginal objects excluding each other
      There are specimens reiterating a type;
      Instead of wood-nymphs and river-demons,
      There is one unconditioned ground of Being.
      Great is Caesar: God must be with him.

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • holderlin66
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2004
        Jo Ann Schwartz wrote:

        From The Poetry Society of America:
        What follows are the Seven Kingdoms of Casear, as told by W.H. Auden
        in his
        Christmas Oratorio of 1942. Enjoy.

        What a terrific find. What a terrific insight and wonderful Poem Mrs
        J. What structure and Intellectual Soul wonder. Here is a poem about
        one of the finest examples of the Intellectual Soul, Casear, with a
        content that depicts almost all examples of Presidents of the
        Imperial army of the Intellectual Soul. Every failed promise, every
        delusion of the intellectual soul and the ability to stand outside
        oneself and look at the intellectual soul with all its failings plus
        the bonus of SEVEN. SEven Golgotha Initiation signs; Planets and
        Rainbow; Shakespeare's 7 ages; Seven layered forces of the human
        being and of course "The 7 Samuri" and "The Magnificent Seven".

        Caesar, was a very detail oriented and prolific writer. He was a
        little concentrated engine of almost choleric intellectual soul
        focus. Military minds have admired to this day, not the intellectual
        soul quality, which they don't recognize, but the commanding clarity,
        planning and strategy, and forethought, detailed recollection and
        crisp insights that Casear represented. They could care less that he
        truly represented some of the finest qualities of the Intellectual
        Soul.

        Now the enjoyment of the poem Auden offered, or the pleasure of
        feeling the words and ideas of Casear, as a military thinker, are
        part of the failed observations that make such a contribution that
        JoAnn has flushed up so fascinating. People complain that spiritual
        science is too intellectual. An unconscious comment like that is
        exactly what we are cowardly and lazy about; and our friends who
        think that, are deluded about.

        The poem is excellent. One has to have the spice of irony to see the
        sham of the so called Political Power of the Intellectual Soul. ONe
        has had to experience this with a certain bitter sweet irony. We can
        tell if someone has or has not truly experienced intellectual soul
        quality. Auden's poem would hardly appeal to Nationalistic or
        sentient soul Jeff Foxworthy types, 'cept those who have through
        their soul development in coutnry music, like Willie Nelson, already
        encountered the sham of politics in the intellectual soul.

        But the appreciation and Eye to see the poem, comes from the Tweaked
        humor and generous nature of the Consciousness Soul that JoAnn has
        always tried to maintain. JoAnn maintains a generous balance of
        motherhood, parenthood, intelligence, librarian efficiency and great
        humanitarian warmth, along with a sharp sense of humor and Justice
        for all.

        I have never met JoAnn except in the spirit of thought. But I know
        those qualities are there. Jo Ann also doesn't trust easily. But she
        does secretly harbor courageous and ground breaking intuitions and
        wisely thinks she should keep them close to her breast. But, contrary
        to her instincts in this regard, the layers of richness and insight
        that she felt when she got back to reading this gem, proves my point.
        We can see through to the soul layers and the meanings, and even the
        sarcastic insights that Auden sprinkles through the text.

        W.H. Auden was not required to be esoterically clear about the Christ
        Event. He wasn't called upon to know how much of sarcasm and
        intellectual soul disappointment, lies, corruption made the world go
        round. But he did. Auden used poetic intuition to capture the thing
        he saw and felt all around him. Our jobs as Conscious Members of the
        Michael School go a little further in both appreciation and
        understanding the wealth of what others have contributed. We have the
        ability to build an understanding of the tone of expression and the
        soul area it comes from.

        Other generations didn't have to understand, because they hadn't met
        with Initiation Science insights. And yet appreciation of great
        insights, collecting our eye to Casear, to 23 or sometimes 33 stab
        wounds, and "The Ides of March" when with Imperial strength we aimed
        at Iraq with Shock and Awe invaded illegally and set a whole train of
        Imperialistic Ahrimanic deaths, and finacial waste as well as
        igniting Armageddon fantasies everywhere; or when soothsayers warned
        Casear as others warmed the U.S., only makes the appreciation that we
        have for the Consciousness Soul a greater treasure. Spiritual Science
        does not remove the joy from such a poem because Spiritual Science is
        accused of being too intellectual. O'Contraire! They who so accuse
        are too cowardly and stand in line behind the Lion in the Wizard of
        OZ. Give me Michael Moore's and JoAnn's any day.

        Now as well, someone might say, you're diminishing Auden. How dare
        you imply all these connected fields of observation to his poem. How
        do you know this? Why can't you just appreciate it and let it go.
        Well to those weak, lazy and unwilling souls who would raise such an
        issue, you are hiding in your subjectivity and truly are afraid of
        deepening your soul life. Afraid that you will sacrifice some real
        subjective ticks on path of Initiation. Well as Clinton has said, "I
        feel your Pain".

        As A Speech Graduate, I see how wonderful a chorus of Waldorf
        STudents in high school could bring about a piece of an assembly with
        bite in it. It is a great poem and lends itself to my imagination and
        I had never read it before. Thanks JoAnn for such a rich find. As the
        modern Parsifal, "Forrest Gump" would say, Clairvoyant is as
        Clairvoyant does.
      • holderlin66
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2004
          Published on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 by CommonDreams.org
          Carly's Poem
          A Nation Rocked to Sleep

          by Carly Sheehan

          Army Spc. Casey Sheehan was killed in Bagdad on April 4th 2004. His
          younger sister Carly wrote this poem about her brothers death.
          Carly's poem has been posted at the Veterans for Peace memorial in
          Santa Barbara, California and is making quite an impact on those who
          have read it.

          Have you ever heard the sound of a mother screaming for her son?
          The torrential rains of a mother's weeping will never be done
          They call him a hero, you should be glad that he's one, but
          Have you ever heard the sound of a mother screaming for her son?

          Have you ever heard the sound of a father holding back his cries?
          He must be brave because his boy died for another man's lies
          The only grief he allows himself are long, deep sighs
          Have you ever heard the sound of a father holding back his cries?

          Have you ever heard the sound of taps played at your brother's grave?
          They say that he died so that the flag will continue to wave
          But I believe he died because they had oil to save
          Have you ever heard the sound of taps played at your brother's grave?

          Have you ever heard the sound of a nation being rocked to sleep?
          The leaders want to keep you numb so the pain won't be so deep
          But if we the people let them continue another mother will weep
          Have you ever heard the sound of a nation being rocked to sleep?

          From The Poetry Society of America: