Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Moltke "initiated" WWI ?

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 2, 2004
      At 23:23 02.06.2004, Frank wrote:

      >Note 12 in "Basic Issues of the Social Question", by Rudolf Steiner. Steiner
      >didn't write the note though. I did.
      >
      >12. Page l35 'the decisive events in Berlin'. The memoirs of General Helmuth
      >von Moltke, Chief of the German General Staff at the outbreak of the war,
      >were ready for publication in May 1919. Von Moltke describes the German
      >Government's attitude at that time, especially on 31 July and 1 August
      >1914:'The atmosphere grew steadily more tense and I was completely alone.'
      >Then he was told by the Kaiser, 'So now you can do whatever you want.'
      >Rudolf Steiner wrote in a commentary: 'So there it was: the Chief of the
      >General Staff stood completely alone. Due to the fact that German policy had
      >reached the zero-point, Europe's destiny on 31 July and 1 August rested in
      >the hands of a man who was obliged to do his military duty.' (Vorbemerkungen
      >zu Die Schuld am Krieg, Betrachtungen und Erinnerungen des Generalstabschefs
      >H. von Moltke.) Aufsätze über die Dreigliederung des Sozialen Organismus.
      >This 'military duty' involved implementing the German army's predetermined
      >war-plan, prepared by von Moltke's predecessor General Schlieffen, which
      >provided for the domination of France before invading Russia. France was to
      >be attacked through Belgium and Holland. Von Moltke modified the plan to the
      >extent that Holland was omitted. His memoirs were suppressed in 1919, but
      >Rudolf Steiner, who was personally acquainted with him, was familiar with
      >their contents. In an interview which appeared in the French newspaper Le
      >Matin in October 1921,Steiner said that the memoirs should have been
      >published in 1919, but they were suppressed because of fear on the part of
      >the authorities. 'Why this fear? These memoirs are in no way an accusation
      >against the imperial government. Something else is involved, which is
      >perhaps even worse: that this imperial government found itself in a state of
      >complete confusion and under an incredibly frivolous and ignorant
      >leadership.' Jules Sauerman's interview with Dr. Rudolf Steiner on the
      >unpublished memoirs of the late Chief of the German General Staff von
      >Moltke. ibid.

      I'm grateful to you for this, Frank. It's precisely what I was looking for,
      although a more detailed account is still desirable.

      Cheers,

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/
    • Gisele
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 8, 2004

        Tarjei Straume  wrote:

        Another clown is back with his one-track-mind about RS being ignorant about
        who was responsible for the outbreak of WW I and about Andrea and myself
        lying about his own posts.

        I an AT message dated Tuesday, 05 Oct 2004, Eric told the following story
        about the Goethanum and Anthroposophy Tomorrow:

        "No wonder when I called the Goetheanum office ten minutes ago and after
        being handed around twice, someone told me this list is considered by
        Anthroposophists to be one for "crackpots" ! "

        Thank you for letting us know what attracts you to this group. It takes one
        to know one, obviously. But are you sure they didn't call *you* a crackpot
        after handing you around twice as you say, and that you imagined they were
        talking about someone else?

        Gisele, didn't you visit the Goethanum right after that post was made and
        expose the ramblings of this space cadet?

        ~~~~Yeah, I felt almost embarrassed by the looks they gave me like:"What is she on about?" - they had no idea of what Eric was talking about, never heard of this list either...

        Gix