The Zen of Anti-Buddhism

  • holderlin66
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1, 2004
      BUSHIDO:THE WAY OF THE ARMCHAIR WARRIOR
      by EVAN EISENBERG

      http://newyorker.com/shouts/content/?040607sh_shouts

      Issue of 2004-06-07
      Posted 2004-05-31

      Knowledge is not important. The armchair warrior strives to attain a
      state beyond knowledge, a state of deep, non-knowing connection to
      the universe: in particular, to that portion of the universe which
      is rich, powerful, or related to him by blood.

      The unenlightened speak of "failures of intelligence." But the
      armchair warrior knows that "intelligence"—the effort of the mind to
      observe facts, apply reason, and reach conclusions about what is
      true and what ought to be done—is a delusion, making the mind turn
      in circles like an ass hitched to a mill. The armchair warrior feels
      in his hara, or gut, what ought to be done. He is like a warhorse
      that races into battle, pulling behind him the chariot of logic and
      evidence. When the people see the magnificent heedlessness of his
      charge, they cannot help but be carried along.

      The warrior spirit resides in the hara. It is this spirit, and not
      any deed, that is the mark of the true warrior. Thus, a man who has
      avoided military service may be a greater and braver warrior than a
      man who has served his country in battle, sustained grave wounds,
      performed "heroic" deeds, and been honored with clanking, showy
      medals pinned to his garment.

      Because human beings are prone to illusion, the sounds and sights of
      battle—the groans of the wounded, the maimed bodies of one's
      comrades—may remain in the mind for many years, like a cloud that
      confuses judgment. Hence, a man who has fought on the battlefield
      and has later risen to high office may be fearful of leading his
      people to war. Such weakness does not afflict the armchair warrior,
      who at all times is firm in his resolve.

      The armchair warrior does not fear death, especially not the death
      of other people.

      The unenlightened mind is easily swayed by pictures. Since it fails
      to grasp that life and death are illusions, the sight of the flag-
      draped remains of those slain by the enemy may make it susceptible
      to weakness and feelings of pity. Therefore, the armchair warrior
      does not let the people see such images, except in settings that can
      be properly controlled, such as his own campaign advertisements.

      Luxury is the enemy of Bushido. It saps the strength of the people
      and makes them weak and complacent. Therefore, the armchair warrior
      strives to take wealth away from the poor and the middle classes and
      give it to the wealthy, who are already so weakened that they are
      beyond help.

      So-called wise men complain that the armchair warrior is
      producing "deficits," emptying the coffers of the state and sinking
      it ever deeper into indebtedness to usurers and foreign
      moneylenders. In their "wisdom," these so-called wise men are like
      the scholar who came to speak with Nan-in. Pretending to ask a
      question, the scholar flaunted his learning for ten minutes while
      Nan-in, attending politely, brewed a pot of tea. When the master
      filled the scholar's cup, he kept pouring until the tea overflowed
      the cup, ran onto the table, and dripped to the floor, forming a
      great puddle.

      The scholar, astonished, asked the meaning of Nan-in's action. "The
      mind is like this cup," said Nan-in. "If you do not empty yourself,
      how can you expect to be filled?" The coffers of the state, too, are
      like the cup. If they are not frequently emptied, how can they be
      filled? Thus, the warrior takes it upon himself to empty the coffers
      of the state into the pockets of his friends, his relations, and
      other members of his class. Knowing well the corrupting power of
      luxury, he distributes these treasures with reluctance. They are
      accepted with equal reluctance. Yet not one among his fellows shirks
      his duty.

      The goal of life is awareness; the goal of awareness is freedom. If
      the people of a foreign land do not wish to be free, it is the duty
      of the armchair warrior to force them.

      The warrior strengthens his resolve and that of his followers by
      chanting sutras, mantras, or other strings of words, such as
      weaponsofmassdestruction or linkstoalqaeda or
      bringingdemocracytotheworld. It is not important that these words
      bear any relation to reality or even that they have any definite
      meaning. All that matters is that they be chanted repeatedly and
      with great urgency.

      The Chinese word for "crisis" combines the characters for "danger"
      and "opportunity." For the armchair warrior, the significance of
      this is clear. Every crisis is an opportunity, and the lack of
      crisis poses a grave danger. In crisis, the people turn to the
      warrior for guidance. Hence, if a crisis has not occurred, the
      warrior creates one. If a crisis is subsiding, the warrior inflames
      it. The seventy-third hexagram of the I Ching is interpreted as
      follows: "Two towers fall. When smoke fills the people's eyes, they
      can be led anywhere."

      Once, a group of travellers were on a perilous journey, in the
      course of which they had to cross a river. Unluckily, their guide
      forgot the location of the bridge, so the party had to ford the
      river, which, at the place they then found themselves, was shallow
      but very wide. After several minutes of wading through the icy
      water, the travellers began to grumble, "This guide is worthless!
      Let us abandon him and find another!" Sensing the discontent of his
      charges, the guide cleverly led them into a deeper part of the
      river, where the current was stronger and the footing more
      treacherous. "Help us!" the travellers cried. "Esteemed guide, do
      not abandon us!"

      The unenlightened believe it to be the height of felicity to have no
      enemies. The armchair warrior knows, however, that only a steady
      supply of enemies can assure him the loyalty of his friends. When so-
      called wise men warn him that in rashly slaughtering his enemies he
      is merely manufacturing more of them, he smiles.
    • holderlin66
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 15 11:32 PM
        "Circus dogs jump when the trainer cracks his whip," George
        Orwell observed, "but the really well-trained dog is the one that
        turns his somersault when there is no whip."

        Orwell noted that language "becomes ugly and inaccurate
        because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our
        language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts." And
        his novel "1984" explained that "the special function of certain
        Newspeak words ... was not so much to express meanings as to
        destroy them."

        National security. Western values. The world community. War
        against terrorism. Collateral damage. American interests.

        What's so wondrous about Orwellian processes is that they
        tend to be very well camouflaged -- part of the normal scenery.
        Day in and day out, we take them for granted. And we're apt to
        stay away from uncharted mental paths.

        In "1984," Orwell wrote about the conditioned reflex of
        "stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any
        dangerous thought ... and of being bored or repelled by any train
        of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction."

        Orwell described "doublethink" as the willingness "to forget
        any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes
        necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long
        as it is needed."

        In his afterword to "1984," Erich Fromm emphasized "the
        point which is essential for the understanding of Orwell's book,
        namely that `doublethink' is already with us, and not merely
        something which will happen in the future, and in dictatorships."

        Fifty-two years ago, Orwell wrote an essay titled "Politics
        and the English Language." Today, his words remain as relevant as
        ever: "In our time, political speech and writing are largely the
        defense of the indefensible."

        Repression and atrocities "can indeed be defended," Orwell
        added, "but only by arguments which are too brutal for most
        people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims
        of political parties."

        http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/george/o79e/part50.html

        Bradford comments;

        The above would be Orwell himself speaking. But the culture of the I
        AM is a culture of orientation to phenomena. Phenomena, observation
        and thinking, allows the development of what I have just been
        exploring recently, the 5th Ether. The culture of the I AM is rooted
        in the 5th Ether. This fifth ether, along with fire, air, water and
        earth, the temperaments and the four chambered heart and four
        seasons, has to do with the Fifth Ether. The Cognition Ether that
        makes a full five pointed star with the lotus petals and thought
        centered at the 5th ether of cognition on the brow of MAN.

        St. Paul was the first person to be struck directly between the eyes
        with the 5th Ether as the cohesive force of the 5the ether struck
        Saul, he was made aware that it was Golgotha that had brought this
        long awaited I AM ether into operation. Saul had to reach instead of
        the spinal serpent S he had to sound shift his name to holding the
        Light in his head, P. Now that is a terribly accurate insight for
        how Saul became Paul. The light of the 5th Ether, the Logos Light,
        suddenly went off like a 500 hundred watt bulb in Paul's head. He
        now had to get used to the integration of Seeing. Now, Fichte of
        Germany was also a baby representative of this new 5th Ether and
        highly representative of how the German mind was constructed.

        The culture of the I AM brings cognition practice, which is a 5th
        ether motif into every aspect of phenomena. Since the Logos and the
        School of Spiritual Science can move anywhere and remain
        unspecialized, open, connect all manner of dots, tour through art,
        science and religion, it is rooted to the Logos and the full I AM
        born from Golgotha. There is nowhere, where cognition cannot go and
        obviously some people have specific gifts for certain areas of
        cognition. I have very little for playing of music.

        Now I suspect none of you have ever heard of the 5th Ether and have
        only begun to struggle with the culture of the I AM. But this
        culture of the I AM is not Group Think

        Here is how some consider Group think and falling into a Group Soul,
        non I AM condition. It would be falling away from the mission of
        Golgotha, which is I am culture.

        OTHERS

        "The mass meeting is also necessary for the reason that in it the
        individual, who at first, while becoming a supporter of a young
        movement, feels lonely and easily succumbs to the fear of being
        alone, for the first time gets the picture of a larger community,
        which in most people has a strengthening, encouraging effect . . .
        In the crowd he always feels somewhat sheltered . . . When from his
        little workshop or big factory, in which he feels very small, he
        steps for the first time into a mass meeting and has thousands and
        thousands of people of the same opinions around him, when, as a
        seeker, he is swept away by three or four thousand others into the
        mighty effect of suggestive intoxication and enthusiasm, when the
        visible success and agreement of thousands confirm to him the
        rightness of the new doctrine and for the first time arouse doubt in
        the truth of his previous conviction--then he himself has succumbed
        to the magic influence of what we designate as `mass
        suggestion.' Adolf Hitler

        At the same time we see our huge globe
        becoming ``McWorld,'' we also see the tribalization of its people
        into Orwell's ``Group-think.'' The individual today (and his
        ability to think for himself) is lost in the sea of Globalism,
        Pluralism, Multi-culturalism and Jihad. One has to be a member of a
        group to find identity or even to claim his rights as a victim. A
        law-breaking gang has more clout and voice than an individual law-
        abiding citizen. If modernism exalted rugged individualism,
        postmodernism swallows the individual into a soupy sea of ethical
        relativism controlled by the perceived needs of society. "