More Saint Erma

  • golden3000997@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7 7:13 PM
      THESE MOMS SHARE SPECIAL GIFTS
      by Erma Bombeck

      (published without permission...hope she doesn't mind -tjw)

      Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social
      pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, nearly 100,000 women will become
      mothers of handicapped children. Did you ever wonder how mothers of handicapped
      children are chosen?

      Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting his instruments for
      propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his
      angels to make notes in a giant ledger. 'Armstrong, Beth, son, patron saint
      Matthew. Forrest, Marjorie, daughter, patron saint Cecelia. Rudledge, Carrie,
      twins, patron saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity.' Finally he passes
      a name to an angel and smiles, 'Give her a handicapped child.'

      The angel is curious, 'Why this one, God? She's so happy.'

      'Exactly,' says God. 'Could I give a handicapped child a mother who does not
      know laughter? That would be cruel.'

      'But has she patience?' asks the angel.

      'I don't want her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea of
      self pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it.
      She has that feeling of self and independence that is so rare and so
      necessary in a mother. You see, the child I'm going to give her has his own world. She
      has to make him live in her world, and that's not going to be easy.'

      'But, Lord, I don't think that she even believes in you.'

      God smiles, 'No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just
      enough selfishness.'

      The angel gasps, 'Selfishness? Is that a virtue?'

      God nods, 'If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she'll
      never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than
      perfect. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never
      take for granted a spoken word. She will never consider a step ordinary. When
      her child says Momma for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and
      know it! When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see
      it as few people ever see my creations.'

      'I will permit her to see clearly the things I see...ignorance, cruelty,
      prejudice...and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be
      at her side every minute of every day of her life, because she is doing my work
      as surely as she is here by my side.'

      'And what about her patron saint?' asks the angel, pen poised in midair.

      God smiles, 'A mirror will suffice.'