Re: Doomsday or Lit de Parade? (was: AT posts)

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2012
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "elfuncle" wrote:
      > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" wrote:
      > >
      > > I was a regular reader...there were some excellent posts on this
      > site...learned quite a bit from some folks...especially when Steiner was
      > quoted...Dennis
      > >
      > The destruction of the Enterprise takes place in the 1984 movie Star
      > Trek III: The Search for Spock, with the Original Cast intact.
      > Self destruct is last resort tactic which completely destroys a starship
      > or facility. Self destruct (or Auto destruct or Destruct Sequence)
      > systems can be found on most if not all Federation Starfleet ships and
      > those of many other species and governments.
      > Auto-destruct is usually done as a last resort, to prevent the capture
      > of technology by foreign forces, or in the case of Federation ships, to
      > prevent the technology from falling into the hands of those protected by
      > the Prime Directive. In the space forces of the Federation and many
      > galactic powers, it is an accepted fact of life that this sacrifice may
      > need to be made for these reasons.
      > The destruct order is also known as "Starfleet Order
      > two-zero-zero-five".
      > In 2285, Kirk used the auto destruct on the USS Enterprise to prevent
      > the vessel being taken by forces of the Klingon Empire.
      > Death Of The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
      > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeW_TwyDGIU>
      > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeW_TwyDGIU>
      > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeW_TwyDGIU>
      > Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov have a code each, and only when all three are
      > combined, may the Enterprise be destroyed. So they activate the doomsday
      > sequence and abandon ship in order to prevent the enemy Klingons from
      > taking it over. (The dialogue is muted and replaced with music, but the
      > lines are all typed on the screen.)
      > It should should announce through a special message to all one of these
      > days (a message everyone gets whether they're individual email
      > subscribers or not) that the Captain (as I've been called all these
      > years) and First Officer Ted are opting for the Doomsday Button, and
      > that we need at least one more high ranking officer to actually do it.
      > The only other high ranking officer who seems to care at all is
      > Communications Officer Jenny, and the three of us have now concluded
      > that instead of blowing the vessel up, we'll put it on lit de parade by
      > disabling all further postings (because there will be nobody on the
      > bridge) and yet leave the archives as they are, permanentlly. Yahoo
      > won't delete the group as long as a message is posted at least once a
      > year or something like that. So it won't vanish completely until we've
      > all totally forgotten about it.
      > Tarjei

      Okay, well this "high ranking officer" is perhaps taking a sentimental view of the whole enterprise. I've been around here several years and have appreciated so much about this group. The fact that we literally can talk about anything at all, nothing is really off-topic, has been one of the biggest draws for me. The topics are typically ones that matter very much to me. Initially, Waldorf education is what led me to discover anthroposophy on the Internet. From there, I found Uncle Taz and his spinning skull and that was it. In a world where "fitting in" is almost a fine art, right away I felt welcomed here, even with my very limited knowledge of Rudolf Steiner and his vast body of work. As I see it, he was a man, a human who existed on earth with flaws and foibles just like the rest of us. If people choose to dig and pick and assign sinister motives to his overall mission, nobody's going to stop them. I can't think of a single way my interest in the topic of Waldorf or anthroposophy has made my life worse. To the contrary, even in some old disputes I've had here in the past with "Sugar Cherubs" hellbent... oops, on holy quests to debunk and knock down a deceased person's life work, I was always put in a position to look in the mirror and learn something new about myself and how I choose to react and respond in the world. It's always an education.