Ecological Collapse

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 3:29 AM
      I've been following Mr Thurau's thought on his ezine, which I think reprises the ideas in his more substantial book (which I'm considering buying). He reached a kind of conclusion in his final article, published last Summer. He calls for a deeper, more serious ecology, informed by a rejuvenated physics that has reconnected with the stream of idealistic thought that was given expression by famous exponents in the 1930s such as Arthur Eddington and James Jeans. But he doesn't hold out much hope :(:

      "The likelihood of modern physics actually changing course and following the course indicated by Eddington and Jeans is remote indeed. But perhaps that possibility cannot be discounted entirely. Such a rebirth of physics, should it ever occur, would be stunning indeed. If it were agreed that the 'substratum of everything' is of a mental character', the concept of being would replace the very inorganic nature of physics. It would have one unplanned result: it would bridge the rift between science and faith, first opened up by Galileo when he removed God from science. Where Eddington and Jeans talk about the mind and the consciousness of the Creator, a religious thinker would see that, in his language, it is spirit that is behind matter as its origin, it is spirit that is the substratum of being. Furthermore, this argument would all originate from the side of physics, without in any way invoking Darwin or the theory of evolution!

      Instead of the brutal exploitation of our environment from without, in search of cheap, polluting, non-renewable energy resources, for example, such a new physics might actually search for ways to work from within nature, to try to find ways to use the life-giving and regenerative forces of nature to balance against the inevitable pollution and environmental degradation inherent in the human presence and thus stop the present net destruction of nature, which is accelerating in a most alarming manner.

      Physics can, of course, continue to pursue the many interesting and compelling theories it is presently engaged in. It can continue to press for funding to send a person to Mars, or to build even bigger and better particle accelerators. Not long ago, perfectly serious physicists suggested spending vast resources to perfect the construction of a spaceship, in which a remnant of humanity might escape our world, after its total destruction by wars or exhaustion of all resources, and roam the universe in search of another and more pristine world where, presumably, we might continue our folly for a few more generations.

      It is to be hoped that the choices physics makes in the future will benefit humanity. Otherwise, it might find itself, together with the rest of us, watching the final and irreversible destruction of our fragile environment."

      http://ezinearticles.com/?Reality,-Being-and-the-Rebirth-of-Physics&id=6351253

      T.

      Ted Wrinch
    • ted.wrinch
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 3:35 AM
        It's worth pointing out that the notion of the 'mental' in his expression:

        " If it were agreed that the 'substratum of everything' is of a mental character', the concept of being would replace the very inorganic nature of physics."

        Corresponds with the 'objective idealism' of the thought and work of people like Schelling, Novalis and Goethe. This is one reason that I think German Idealism is due for a renaissance in the West.