Re: Eagles and Group Souls

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2012
      "Now it's beginning to dawn on me why Frank says you're a snob, Ted. With a sentence like this, you'll only antagonize her and perhaps cause a setback in her progress."

      There's no progress without a first turning to the truth. If she believes that aping the likes of Staudi is helping her path through life she's mistaken and my sentence is designed to help her see that.

      "Careful, careful. You want to give her more intellectual security, not less. Discover the beauty of her mind, her insight and her brilliance, and point this out to her."

      This is unfortunately the opposite of what she needs. Facing up to and being consciously aware of one's real and radical intellectual, emotional and general insecurity in the face of the mysteries, beauties and complexities of life is the path of wisdom. Socrates knew this and this is the reason that he, a wise man, denied he knew anything before the Athenian authorities that were about to condemn him to death. Radical ignorance was to him a fitting state of soul to encounter the world beyond this one.

      "I agree with the PS thing, but the disappointment you're talking about probably took place in the Middle Ages, when she was refused an advanced theological study because she was female. That made her decide to come back as a woman once more, with a vengeance. Let her do her venting, Ted, even if you should be a convenient target at this point."

      Quite possibly this is true. But venting her frustrations on me does no good; rather, she needs to understand their cause.

      T.

      Ted Wrinch