The Next Ten Years?

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2012
      The news flash at the bottom of this post has been published on the Marquette University website. Der Staudi proposes to be busy for many years with further research on racism and fascism in the European archives.

      It was interesting to me to note how little the scholar writing on Belyi and Steiner, that I quoted from in my post on Jung, knew of Steiner: her only source was Colin Wilson! I've never been clear that Staudi's claim to be benefitting anthroposophy by giving it serious scholarly attention, albeit almost exclusively from the perspective of racism, was convincing. But perhaps, relative to the combination of ignorance and hostility expressed by the author of the volume of the Cambridge guide to
      Russian Literature, he has a point.

      Interestingly, and scarily from the ignorance and bias Staudi evidenced on WC he teaches/taught philosophy ( (http://www.marquette.edu/history/documents/StaudenmaierCV2011.pdf ):

      "The Nature of Nature: Philosophies of Nature from the Greeks to the Greens."

      ""Two Forms of Skepticism toward Technology" St. Mary's College Visiting Philosophy Lecture, St. Mary's College, Maryland, March 2006"

      He's also published:

      "Right-wing Critiques of Technology in the Twentieth Century: From Weimar to the Unabomber Manifesto" Conference on Comparative Approaches to Rightist Movements, City University of New York, March 2008"

      which will be written from a Bookchinian perspective, reinforced by his 6 years or so of teaching experience at the Institute of Social Ecology. As I showed in my analysis of Bookchin's philosophical thinking, in his paper on 'dialectical naturalism', Bookchin's knowledge of history beyond the modern period seems to be limited and distorted. Der Staudi probably doesn't know a great deal more. The best one can hope for for his students is that they have a lively enough sense of intellectual curiosity to want to go and find out for themselves, which really isn't so hard with the resources of the www ( but it does help to have a 'liberatory' cultural perspective, such as that of Waldorf); and perhaps this is all that universities should be aiming for these days.

      Finally, to repeat Tom M's phrase: 'the Jesuits are coming' (again). I came across this bio of what could be another family member, John M. Staudenmaier, sj, who is a Jesuit and teaches at University of Detroit Mercy: http://www.udmercy.edu/faculty_pages/staudenmaier_sj/short%20bio%20August%2020%202009.htm . It's strange, from a British perspective, that there are all these tertiary educational institutions that are also religiously affiliated; we have nothing equivalent over here. I wonder if Staudi is becoming a fair-weather atheist and returning to his Catholic roots! Also, notice that 'New Berlin' is just down the road from Staudi's campus.

      "Assistant Professor Peter Staudemaier received one of Marquette's Summer Faculty Fellowships for his project Fascism and Race: Historical Origins and Contemporary Legacies.
      According to Peter, "It is supposed to be the first stage in a larger multi-year research project working toward an eventual book-length comparative study of racial theory and practice in Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, based on primary sources from the files of the racial bureaucracies of both regimes. I will spend much of the summer in archives in Berlin and Rome making an initial survey of the relevant holdings. Rather than treating Fascism and Nazism as anomalies or aberrations, I plan to integrate the research into the larger history of racial ideas and practices in Western culture as a whole."

      T.

      Ted Wrinch