Nada Yoga, The Inner Sound, Silence in Existentialism

  • Kathleen Bonneau
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2012
      From Waiting for Godot :

      ESTRAGON:
      In the meantime let us try and converse calmly, since we are incapable of keeping silent.
      VLADIMIR:
      You're right, we're inexhaustible.
      ESTRAGON:
      It's so we won't think.
      VLADIMIR:
      We have that excuse.
      ESTRAGON:
      It's so we won't hear.
      VLADIMIR:
      We have our reasons.
      ESTRAGON:
      All the dead voices.
      VLADIMIR:
      They make a noise like wings.
      ESTRAGON:
      Like leaves.
      VLADIMIR:
      Like sand.
      ESTRAGON:
      Like leaves.
      Silence.
      VLADIMIR:
      They all speak at once.
      ESTRAGON:
      Each one to itself.
      Silence.
      VLADIMIR:
      Rather they whisper.
      ESTRAGON:
      They rustle.
      VLADIMIR:
      They murmur.
      ESTRAGON:
      They rustle.
      Silence.

      VLADIMIR:
      They make a noise like feathers.
      ESTRAGON:
      Like leaves.
      VLADIMIR:
      Likes ashes.
      ESTRAGON:
      Like leaves.
      Long silence.
      VLADIMIR:
      Say something!
      ESTRAGON:
      I'm trying.
      Long silence.
      VLADIMIR:
      (in anguish). Say anything at all!
      ESTRAGON:
      What do we do now?
      VLADIMIR:
      Wait for Godot.
      ESTRAGON:
      Ah!
      Silence.

      http://samuel-beckett.net/Waiting_for_Godot_Part2.html

      Nada Yoga:

      The individual can, according to Nāda yoga, "listen in on" their own anahata, their own "inner sound". Such a process of inner awareness and sensitivity leads to increased self-recollectedness and finally to awakening.

      To concentrate on this inner sound as a support for meditation is very helpful to tame the mind, and when it has been clearly recognized, used for self-recollectedness in outer life as well. Eventually, it can be experienced as penetrating all matter and indeed vibrates eternally throughout the Creation.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nada_yoga

      Kathleen