Independent thought

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2012
      It's always seemed to me that thinking things out for oneself should be the sine qua non of being a knowledge worker, and probably is a vital attribute for everyone in our age. But I did used to have a considerable respect for the university system and a regard for the rankings that it liked to confer on its denizens: professors were, to some extent, worthy of respect for their position of intellectual pre-eminence. I have to say now that after seeing the pitiful example of intellectual dishonesty and disregard for the truth in favour of political and polemical objectives displayed by the likes of Der Staudi and Zander that I can't any longer give that kind of semi-automatic respect to the system. It may be that an individual is a professor or senior academic and is worth listening to; but I suspect now this to more of an accident than something one can assume.

      Well done Der Staudi - you've done more to discredit 'intellectualism', 'abstractionism' and 'the scholarly' than anyone I know!

      T.

      Ted Wrinch
    • ted.wrinch
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2012
        Of course, these are only Der Staudi's intellectual defects. I've also rarely come across such a petty-minded, arrogant, pedantic and mean-spirited human being before.