Re: Austria-Hungary

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
      Some historians call it the thirty years war, lasting 31 years (August 1914-August 1945).

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
        "Think for a moment upon the problem, 'How much would Woodrow Wilson's brain be worth if this brain were not sitting in the Presidential chair of the United States?' "
        ( -- Rudolf Steiner: The Reappearance of Christ in the Etheric, XII: Individual Spirit Beings and the Undivided Foundation of the World: Part 3 , Dornach 25th November, 1917, GA 178)
        The development of Europe with all its new nation-states and all that developed into the opposite of what Wilson had expected or hoped for, a veritable nightmare. The reason is that Wilson's proposals were totally unrealistic. And that reminds me: On June 15, 2010, Johan Galtung was asked by Amy Goodman on Democracy Now  what he thought about Obama's remarks about Afghanistan, and he said "totally unrealistic".
        PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: Now, the people of Afghanistan have endured violence for decades. They have been confronted with occupation by the Soviet Union and then by foreign al-Qaeda fighters who used Afghan land for their own purposes. So tonight, I want the Afghan people to understand: America seeks an end to this era of war and suffering. We have no interest in occupying your country. We will support efforts by the Afghan government to open the door to those Taliban who abandon violence and respect the human rights of their fellow citizens. And we will seek a partnership with Afghanistan grounded in mutual respect, to isolate those who destroy, to strengthen those who build, to hasten the day when our troops will leave, and to forge a lasting friendship in which America is your partner and never your patron.

        AMY GOODMAN:
        That was President Obama. Your response?

        JOHAN GALTUNG: Totally unrealistic and extremely badly informed, and that from such an intelligent, such a charming man with such a brilliant rhetoric.
        Those exact words by Galtung about Obama in 2010 could have been said about Woodrow Wilson in 1918: Totally unrealistic and extremely badly informed!  The most tragic thing about Wilson -- apart from getting the (totally debased) Nobel Peace Prize in 1919 after being hailed in Paris like Jesus riding into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday (just like Obama, who found it necessary to inform his supporters before inauguration that he wasn't born in a manger) -- the worst thing is that all of Wilson's successors have been looking up to him like a role model to be emulated. And listening to Obama is like hearing the echo of Wilson -- pretty ox-poo rhetoric. And the world never learns, apparently -- it wants to be deceived.

        > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ted.wrinch" ted.wrinch@ wrote:
        > >
        > > On the subject of Der Staudi's distorting mirror world, I've been looking into a little more detail at the later half of the C18 history of the Austria-Hungary 'empire'/'state'…? It's hard to find the right name for it as it was such a patch-work of languages (11 recognised), peoples and ethnicities, sometimes described as 'ramshackle' or 'decaying' in English circles. Wiki has this to say on the nationalities issue:
        > --------
        > http://southerncrossreview.org/Ebooks/ebbasicissues2.htm
        >
        > Note 15: Page 139 President Wilson's 'fourteen points' constituted the ideological basis for the principle of 'self-determination of peoples', which was to underlie the political restructuring of Europe after the war. This principle presupposes that ethnic groups (peoples, nations) are perfectly separable and definable, like so many individual pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. If each governs itself through its own national state, then the cause of political morality is served. In fact, Europe was and is a quilt of nations with many overlapping ethnic 'grey' regions. The effect of self-determination or the 'nationalities principle' is the disenfranchisement of many smaller or larger minorities with the resultant bitterness and frustration. The course of history since this principle was put into effect in Europe and elsewhere would seem to support such criticism. Winston Churchill wrote the following about the carving up of the Austro-Hungarian empire: 'The second cardinal tragedy was the complete break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire...There is not one of these peoples or provinces that constituted the Empire of the Hapsburgs to whom gaining their independence has not brought the tortures which ancient poets and theologians had reserved for the damned.' The Second World War, Vol. 1, Chap. i, The Gathering Storm. According to the idea of the 'social triformation', or 'threefold society', the nationalities (ethnic) problem can only be solved by liberating 'national' life from the power of the political state. In other words, the creation of a free cultural-spiritual sector.

      • ted.wrinch
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
          That's an interesting link, Tarjei - thanks.

          "And the world never learns, apparently -- it wants to be deceived."

          I'm afraid so. Thinking realistically is hard, lonely work.

          T.

          Ted Wrinch

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2012
            I've gone through the 48 lectures in the series "Interpreting the 20th Century: The Struggle Over Democracy" by Professor Pamela Radcliff, Ph.D. (Columbia University, Associate Professor, Department of History, University of California at San Diego), available from The Teaching Company /The Great Courses .

            In lectures 46 and 48, Pamela Radcliff makes some interesting remarks that may corroborate the suggested take on Woodrow Wilson below (from my previous post). Check this out:

            In Lecture Forty-Six ("The 'End of History'?"), she says about ethnic nationalism in particular:
            "The first nature of this threat is that this kind of racial nationalism threatens the principles of individual rights. Once again, it takes us back to the Nazi form of nationalism where the unit of society is the ethnic group versus the individual, and leaves no basis on which individuals and indivisual minorities have rights."
            In this lecture, Pamela Radcliff was saying these things in the context of the political and social conflicts and chaos that followed the collapse of Communism in the late eighties and early nineties, especially after 1991. In Lecture Forty-Eight, however, ("A New World Order?"), she makes a direct link to Wilsonianism when explaining one of several positions on the issue at hand:
            "Implicit in the other position is that nation-states are or should be weakening in the face of global challenges. Thus this position would argue that the nation-state system has proven to have a destructive impact on the world in the 20th century, and that the Wilsonian ideal for every people to have their own nation and state has given rise to many of the violent conflicts as well as the environmental destruction of the 20th century.

            "The origins of the nationalist conflict in Yugoslavia can be traced all the way back to the 1918 formation of the Yugoslav nation out of a diverse group of regions with different cultural traditions and no common history."
            One of the things about Woodrow Wilson that seem to have irritated Rudolf Steiner, apart from his schoolmasterly moralism (somewhat reminiscent of Obama's elequent rhetoric imho), was that he kept talking about the freedom of nations and peoples -- treating states and institutions like human beings (just like corporations have personhood according to American jurisprudence), and neglecting and ignoring the simple fact that you can't have free nations unless you have free individuals first.

            Here is an excerpt from GA 196 translated by none other than --- yes, you guessed it: Our very own Frank.
            "I will now read to you a definition of the law that Woodrow Wilson gave so you can see how this definition consists of nothing but platitudes. He said: "The law is the will of the state in respect to those citizens who are bound by it." So the state unfolds a will! One can well imagine that someone who is embedded so strongly in abstract idealism, not to mention materialism — for they are practically the same — can claim that the state is supposed to have a will. He would have to have lost all sense of reality to even conceive of such a thing let alone write it down. But it is in the book I spoke to you about yesterday — the codex of platitudes: The State, Elements of Historical and Practical Politics."
            ( -- Rudolf Steiner: The History and Actuality of Imperialism , Dornach, 22nd February, 1920, GA 196)
            Yours for -- what was it? Oh yes, yours for the avoidance of history and contempt for academics and scholarship and aversion to learning! And for the love and pursuit of illiteracy!

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2012
              In a way wer'e all trying to find evidence for what should be the obvious. Frank has quoted Churchill:

              " 'The second cardinal tragedy was the complete
              break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire...There is not one of these peoples or
              provinces that constituted the Empire of the Hapsburgs to whom gaining their
              independence has not brought the tortures which ancient poets and theologians
              had reserved for the damned.'"

              The only reason the Wilson's 'national self-determination' proposal doesn't get short shrift is because it *sounds* high-minded, and that's enough for most people. Which is then just the thing conservative historians like Der Staudi (though he may see himself as 'radical' he really isn't) can then trade on to damn independent thinkers like Steiner: eg see WC message 8146.

              T.

              Ted Wrinch

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2012

                > The only reason the Wilson's 'national self-determination' proposal doesn't get short shrift is because it *sounds* high-minded, and that's enough for most people. Which is then just the thing conservative historians like Der Staudi (though he may see himself as 'radical' he really isn't) can then trade on to damn independent thinkers like Steiner: eg see WC message 8146.

                This makes it reasonable to suspect that Frank was banned from Sugarland because his arguments were too rational and too knowledgeable with no wackiness that could be used to scare Waldorf parents on Halloween. Of course some scholars may disagree with the conclusions based on such an analysis and point to some of Frank's inflammatory posts, like in WC message 314 (June 2007) when he suggested that the Sugar Cherubs were "afraid of not getting back to their coffins before sunrise" <sic>, thus throwing the Halloween syndrome back at them. But although they probably recognized this remark as much closer to home than Frank's rational and knowledgeable contributions -- subconsciously, that is, because mythic imagery has always described the Sugar Cherubs most faithfully and truthfully, especially about vampires and werewolves -- in spite of this, rational well-informed arguments always hurt them the most. Thus phrases like "Yours for avoiding truth and learning" and all that are always, always projections of their own shortcomings and pathologies on their chosen adversaries. Very few psychiatrists would argue otherwise, not successfully at any rate.

                In the fifth lecture of GA 172  (The Karma of Vocation, Dornach, November 1916), Steiner mentioned some theologians who under the influence of psychoanalysis talked about  "the bestial slime at the bottom of the soul."  One of our most notorious Adorable Darlings who chose to put his expert knowledge of anthroposophy in the service of PS and his cohorts, cited this lecture when I was scanning it with special attention to this expression ("the bestial slime at the bottom of the soul"). This also seems to have hit them deeply, but they're endemically incapable of soul-searching. Except Diana perhaps. She's struggling. She and all those fellow Sugar Cherubs of hers who are longing to cleanse their souls of bestial slime should know that we stand behind them, ready to embrace and receive them with the deepest affection and love and forgiveness and divinity, any time of year, any hour of day or night. We'll always be there for them.

                With love, flowers, harmony, and divinity, and with a truckload of hugs and kisses for every Sugar Cherub in the universe,