Re: WC Study Group

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2012
      There are good reasons to assume that obsessive debunkers of spiritual science are subconsciously attracted to it and may indeed join the stream between death and rebirth. Apart from that, history shows us that polemics published against certain new ideas often win new followers of the ideas being attacked. So what the Sugar Cherubs are doing -- one can't really call them "critics" as long as they violate the premises of true criticism so severely  -- is to promote and spread anthroposophy while the opposite is intended.

      But let's get back to Diana here: In one particular post of hers, she quotes from the lecture quite extensively with her own comments in between, but her only real objection comes at the end, where she writes:
      "A point for discussion: Steiner states that although we cannot all be clairvoyant, we can all learn spiritual truths from those who do possess this ability. He presents this as anti-authoritarian: the student need not take anything on faith from the teacher, but if he/she is of normal intelligence can understand all the teachings with his or her own reason. Is this really anti-authoritarian?"
      What I find interesting is that once the topic of discussion is a little bit removed from the context of Waldorf education, which she hatefully distorts and caricatures with her venom, and becomes more focused upon Rudolf Steiner's ideas about history and evolution and consciousness and so on, her criticism becomes less distorted and in fact quite valid at times, because she is then no longer critiquing a caricature of anthroposophy (which is the norm in Sugarland), but the real thing. She doesn't seem aware of this distinction, which is probably one of the causes of her bewilderment. (PS calls it confusion, a state of mind he characteristically projects upon his targets -- more about that below.)

      Our very own Dottie, always the spiritual optimist, had expressed high hopes for Diana. Some of our AT Lovathons were especially aimed at her -- maybe it's finally bearing fruit ;)

      Peter Staudenmaier, of course, is always the master distorter and semantic trickster. Thus he says, in response to Diana's above-cited post:
      "One problem with the approach Steiner outlines here is that it confuses understanding with affirmation, a very common confusion in esoteric thought."
      "Confusion" is one of Staudenmaier's favorite words. Back in 2004, in this very forum, he labeled several threads with the titles "Dottie's confusion," "Tarjei's confusion," "Sune's confusion," "Detlef's confusion" and so on. And at that time we discovered how much PS is actually projecting his own pathologies on "anthroposophists" or "esotericists." He projects his own weaknesses and deep sense of inferiority and uncertainty, especially with negative labels he uses most often, like "confused" and "confusion." In the above statement, it is unclear whether he intends to label Steiner as confused too, or as the confuser of all contemporary and later anthroposophists, but that's of no consequence. His semantic acrobatics here with "affirmation" and "understanding," which he says are being confused because he is confusing them as well as himself -- this is highly characteristic of Staudenmaier's approach to everything. With his good knowledge of German, he should have consulted the original text here and explained the meaning of the words faithfully (which is out of the question in his case). In reality, understanding is a precondition for affirmation. If you ask me about something and I affirm it, I acknowledge it to be true, based upon my own knowledge, experience, and understanding. So Rudolf Steiner does not mean affirmation when he says understanding, and when he compares this kind of understanding to that of the natural sciences, it's a valid comparison because people understand mathematics and natural science on the basis of their own intellects. But also in the field of natural science, many people take the statements of laws and principles and the results of studies etc. on blind authority without thinking about it or understanding it.

      And here is an interesting statement by Pater S., from the same post:
      "What is absent from the lecture is acknowledgement that others might understand the teachings Steiner invokes here and nonetheless reject them, on spiritual grounds or scientific grounds or other grounds."
      He is talking here, of course, about his own understanding, on the basis of which he affirms spiritual science to be untrue. In other words, if his conclusion is false, he has not understood. And if he has not understood something he claims to understand, he is confused. And every time Peter Staudenmaier is confused, he projects his confusion on every anthroposophist and esotericist he can think of. And right now, with this very comment, he is trying to make sure that Diana holds the course and affirms her sugarsweet faith -- that she remains, in fact, in the same state of confusion he is in. If she should suddenly understand something, there's always the possibility that she may become not only a heretic but a lost soul by switching sides -- not by promoting Waldorf, which is unthinkable, but by defending Steiner. She would become -- not a black sheep, but a white sheep in the black fold. (A black sheep means, according to the dictionary, "A member of a family or other group who is considered undesirable or disreputable," but reversing this metaphor fits our mythology about the Unthinkable Facility so much better.)