Re: Anti-intellectualism

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2012

      > Surely not!
      >
      > I did find the article heavy going, but then that's usually how we Anglos find German Idealism, isn't it? Must also be really hard to translate well I should think. Still, though it took me a while to read, in the end I thought it was well worth it.

      It may well have been worth it Ted. My objection to such translations is that the translator is a fanatic. He/she gets a horror like "freeness" from when Steiner said the English title of Philosophy of Freedom should be "Philosophy of Spiritual Activity". Something about the German word "Frei*heit* and the English "Free*dom*". He said (apparently)that the meanings aren't exactly the same. But Steiner didn't go so far as to suggest "Philosophy of Freehood" which is absurd. But the translator of this article thinks he can use a non-existant word in order to kowtow (in deep humility surely) to der Doktor. So for me the whole translation is tainted, being by someone who is afraid to use correct English and produces a miscarriage instead. Btw, Steiner didn't speak English, so I don't see how he could claim that "freedom" isn't the same as "Freiheit". And just think of Spanish, fe, where the word is "libertad". Hell, those Latin types, can't have a clue. ;-)
      Frank