Asexuality

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 17, 2012
      I came across this phenomenon when it was described in the London 'Metro' freesheet in their 'Metrosexual' column around '05. It was just a short article and described a few people who identified themselves as 'asexual' - not interested in sex at all. I thought this was interesting when I read it and perhaps a reasonable response to the excessive focus on sexuality within our Western society. The BBC has repeated the theme in an article of its own and asexuals now have an online society, AVEN, and may represent 1% of the population: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16552173. What occurs to me is that Zander represents the opposite pole: he is appears to be obsessed with sex and titilation, to the point that he is unable to conceive that sex appears to be unimportant in Steiner's life (whether because he overdosed in a previous life, as Tarjei has mentioned, or some other reason we can speculate or not as we wish). Maybe Zander needs to get out more and stop projecting his sexual obsessions onto others. It's also pretty poor behaviour for a suposed academic.

      T.

      Ted Wrinch
    • ted.wrinch
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 17, 2012
        Link got broken again, sigh. Yahoo is such a cr*p website. Here it is again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16552173

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2012

          > Link got broken again, sigh. Yahoo is such a cr*p website. Here it is again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16552173
          >
          > T.

          Are you implying that Rudolf Steiner was asexual, Ted. Not an option. In my opinion it's worse than implying that he was a sex fiend. He was, after all, married twice, and had a bunch of women panting after him.
          Frank
          ____________

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 17, 2012

            > Are you implying that Rudolf Steiner was asexual, Ted. Not an option. In my opinion it's worse than implying that he was a sex fiend. He was, after all, married twice, and had a bunch of women panting after him.
            > Frank

            Ah, where's Dottie when you need her? Anyway, Both of Steiner's marriages were very unromantic marriages of convenience; in the case of Anna Eunicke, he was living in her house, so it was a matter of social propriety; he married Marie von Sivers to make her a Swiss citizen when the Great War had broken out (in a very low profile civil ceremony). Women panting after him doesn't say anything about whether or not he panted after them, or about him being a ladies man -- or the Hugh Hefner of Occultism like Zander seems to want it.

            Rudolf Steiner's only comment on this topic -- somewhere in his autobio, I seem to recall -- was that "it does not concern the public" (meaning the question of whether or not there was physical intimacy in his first marriages, something like that).

            In other words: Anything on this particular topic (about Rudolf Steiner's sex life or total absence thereof) remains pure speculative guesswork.

            Tarjei
          • ted.wrinch
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 18, 2012
              Exactly.

              T.

              Ted Wrinch

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 18, 2012

                > <fts.trasla@> wrote:
                >
                > > Are you implying that Rudolf Steiner was asexual, Ted. Not an option.
                > In my opinion it's worse than implying that he was a sex fiend. He was,
                > after all, married twice, and had a bunch of women panting after him.
                > > Frank
                >
                > Ah, where's Dottie when you need her? Anyway, Both of Steiner's
                > marriages were very unromantic marriages of convenience; in the case of
                > Anna Eunicke, he was living in her house, so it was a matter of social
                > propriety; he married Marie von Sivers to make her a Swiss citizen when
                > the Great War had broken out (in a very low profile civil ceremony).
                > Women panting after him doesn't say anything about whether or not he
                > panted after them, or about him being a ladies man -- or the Hugh Hefner
                > of Occultism like Zander seems to want it.
                >
                > Rudolf Steiner's only comment on this topic -- somewhere in his autobio,
                > I seem to recall -- was that "it does not concern the public" (meaning
                > the question of whether or not there was physical intimacy in his first
                > marriages, something like that).
                >
                > In other words: Anything on this particular topic (about Rudolf
                > Steiner's sex life or total absence thereof) remains pure speculative
                > guesswork.
                ________

                I agree, which is why you and Zander and Ted should stop guessing. However, I can't resist asking how Steiner marrying Marie could make her a Swiss citizen when he wasn't one himself.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 18, 2012

                  > I agree, which is why you and Zander and Ted should stop guessing. However, I can't resist asking how Steiner marrying Marie could make her a Swiss citizen when he wasn't one himself.
                  > Frank

                  Austrian citizen, sorry, my mistake. They were moving to Switzerland as Austrians.

                  Stewart C. Easton explains:

                  "It was mentioned briefly in the last chapter that Rudolf Steiner, Marie von Sievers, and a party of friends were returning to Dornach from Germany when the war broke out. Passage over the frontier into Switzerland might have proved embarrassing, or worse, if the frontier had been organized as it was later. Marie von Sievers, as a Russian citizen, might well have been taken into custody by the Germans as an enemy alien before she could cross the border although the Swiss authorities would probably have raised no objection to her entry as long as her papers were in order.

                  "The incident, however, was a serious warning to Steiner that it had become urgently necessary for Marie von Sievers to become an Austrian citizen like himself if he were not to lose the services and indispensable aid of his principal collaborator in the work of Anthroposophy."
                  ( -- Stewart C. Easton: Rudolf Steiner: Herald of a New Epoch, Chapter 9 )

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 18, 2012

                    > <fts.trasla@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I agree, which is why you and Zander and Ted should stop guessing.
                    > However, I can't resist asking how Steiner marrying Marie could make her
                    > a Swiss citizen when he wasn't one himself.
                    > > Frank
                    >
                    > Austrian citizen, sorry, my mistake. They were moving to Switzerland as
                    > Austrians.
                    >
                    > Stewart C. Easton explains:
                    >
                    > "It was mentioned briefly in the last chapter that Rudolf Steiner, Marie
                    > von Sievers, and a party of friends were returning to Dornach from
                    > Germany when the war broke out. Passage over the frontier into
                    > Switzerland might have proved embarrassing, or worse, if the frontier
                    > had been organized as it was later. Marie von Sievers, as a Russian
                    > citizen, might well have been taken into custody by the Germans as an
                    > enemy alien before she could cross the border although the Swiss
                    > authorities would probably have raised no objection to her entry as long
                    > as her papers were in order.
                    > "The incident, however, was a serious warning to Steiner that it had
                    > become urgently necessary for Marie von Sievers to become an Austrian
                    > citizen like himself if he were not to lose the services and
                    > indispensable aid of his principal collaborator in the work of
                    > Anthroposophy."
                    > ( -- Stewart C. Easton: Rudolf Steiner: Herald of a New Epoch, Chapter 9
                    > <http://uncletaz.com/easton/ch09.html> )

                    Yeah well, maybe, maybe not. The fact that they may have married for convenience doesn't mean they weren't living in sin until then. All this could be an attempt to sanctify Steiner like a wannabe (to others) Jesus. Personally, I prefer the Clint Eastwood type as Rudy.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 18, 2012

                      > Personally, I prefer the Clint Eastwood type as Rudy.

                      And Dirty Rudy says: "Make my epoch!"