Mike Scott in Troll-land

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
      Hey Taz,

      You might be interested in this. One of my favourite singer-songwriters, Mike Scott, is doing a tour of your esteemed country this Spring. He's got a partial podcast with the Scottish Poetry library here: http://www.readingroom.spl.org.uk/podcasts/scott.htm (it unfortunately breaks of half-way through) and his tour dates here: http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/. I love it that you have a Peer Gynt Hall in Bergen - he will be performing there. What's he done? Set Yeats poems to music. I haven't heard it yet myself but you can get a feel of what the project might be like from his setting of The Stolen Child here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-oJKYIinQ&noredirect=1, from one of my favourite albums of the 80s, Fisherman's Blues. If you don't know him he's a very interesting and original talent from one of my favourite places in the world - Edinburgh.

      T.

      Ted Wrinch
    • ted.wrinch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
        Everyone knows this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7AR0-FRro&feature=related . I was in Waterstones bookstore on Princes Street in Edinburgh when I heard it and was captivated, wonder-struckĀ…

        T.

        Ted Wrinch

        > Hey Taz,
        >
        > You might be interested in this. One of my favourite singer-songwriters, Mike Scott, is doing a tour of your esteemed country this Spring. He's got a partial podcast with the Scottish Poetry library here: http://www.readingroom.spl.org.uk/podcasts/scott.htm (it unfortunately breaks of half-way through) and his tour dates here: http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/. I love it that you have a Peer Gynt Hall in Bergen - he will be performing there. What's he done? Set Yeats poems to music. I haven't heard it yet myself but you can get a feel of what the project might be like from his setting of The Stolen Child here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-oJKYIinQ&noredirect=1, from one of my favourite albums of the 80s, Fisherman's Blues. If you don't know him he's a very interesting and original talent from one of my favourite places in the world - Edinburgh.
        >
        > T.
        >
        > Ted Wrinch

      • ted.wrinch
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2012
          The Stolen Child link got broken; this should work:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-oJKYIinQ&noredirect=1

          The poem's words are included in some of the comments.

          T.

          Ted Wrinch