The Status Quo

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2011
      If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. A higher degree of niet, no and 'nah, nah I don't want to think about that' would be hard to find. All that intelligence gone to waste.

      "Peter, I'm glad to meet another person who is as dedicated as I am to transforming the American framework and ending that framework. I'm confident that I'm not going too far to trust that you understand that, in historical context, the harmfulness of the American Empire is starting to approach that of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I look forward to our further collaboration in permanently laying to rest America's economic nationalist assumptions. I look forward to your concrete vision of how to transcend the fusion of the economic, political, and educational sectors in America. If you have anything to contribute to the coming Threefold America, please do not hesitate to contact me:https://picasaweb.google.com/TraverseTravis/ThreefoldAmerica?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJnVgYbWs7TzaQ&feat=directlink

      Travis Henry

      "Hi Travis,
      Thanks for your comment. In my view, the harmfulness of US imperial actions is much worse than that of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. For better or worse, though, Rudolf Steiner did not live in the US.
      Enthusiasts of Steiner's `social threefolding' who want to understand what threefolding has actually looked like historically will need to become familiar with the historical context out of which threefolding emerged. The problem, of course, is that this sort of historical understanding makes naïve and uncritical celebrations of threefolding impossible. That is why lots of threefolding advocates avoid it.
      Apart from historical naivete, there are a number of fundamental political disagreements involved as well. It can be hard to make this clear to threefolding fans, but from the point of view of many social ecologists and all sorts of other radicals, threefolding proposals are at best a notably timid variety of reformism. Instead of challenging capitalism and challenging the state, threefolders want "to transcend the fusion of the economic, political, and educational sectors" in the hope that this will magically make unjust social structures better. Moreover, threefolding ideas about the role of democratic procedures are directly contrary to many forms of participatory democracy, not to mention egalitarian and participatory economic and educational institutions.
      One of the central arguments in my article is that `social threefolding' belongs to a lengthy tradition of alternative political and economic proposals that do not offer genuine alternatives to existing structures. Like followers of Henry George, followers of Silvio Gesell, followers of C.H. Douglas, and lots of other would-be world saviors, followers of Steiner often focus so tightly on their own vision of salvation and renewal that they have a hard time discerning the points of convergence and the points of divergence with other forms of discontent with the status quo. If we want to build a future that genuinely transcends the current structures of society, we will need to take a much more critical look at such proposals. Best,
      Peter Staudenmaier

      T.

      Ted Wrinch