Re: Facebook sucks

    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Maurice McCarthy <manselton@...> wrote:

      > Have a look at the section on Facebook here
      > http://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/help/wwwprivacy.html
      > It comes from developers at the Technical University of Dresden. It is
      > the commercial arm of their effort to improve privacy on the internet.

      Thanks Marice, very interesting. Btw, I'm not mad at Facebook because it's not working for me. I hardly ever go there and am only registered because a beautiful exotic chick insisted. In fact I was trying to figure out how to unsubscribe, but it ain't so easy. To me it's one of the biggest rip-off of all time.
      Frank
    • James Stewart
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
        Unless you want to promote something ... like Anthroposophy!

        Jim

        On Friday, December 02, 2011 6:24:38 PM, Frank Thomas Smith wrote:

        > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:anthroposophy_tomorrow%40yahoogroups.com>, Maurice McCarthy
        > <manselton@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Have a look at the section on Facebook here
        > > http://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/help/wwwprivacy.html
        > > It comes from developers at the Technical University of Dresden. It is
        > > the commercial arm of their effort to improve privacy on the internet.

        > Thanks Marice, very interesting. Btw, I'm not mad at Facebook because
        > it's not working for me. I hardly ever go there and am only registered
        > because a beautiful exotic chick insisted. In fact I was trying to
        > figure out how to unsubscribe, but it ain't so easy. To me it's one of
        > the biggest rip-off of all time.
        > Frank

      • Maurice McCarthy
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
          On 02/12/2011, Frank Thomas Smith <fts.trasla@...> wrote:

          > In fact I was trying to figure out how to
          > unsubscribe, but it ain't so easy. To me it's one of the biggest rip-off of
          > all time.
          > Frank

          Hmm, I've not discovered how to do that also, nor delete everything
          I've left there. Mind you deleting anything from the internet is
          difficult. It is an Ahrimanic Chronicle of events. There is no such
          thing as absolute security, privacy or anonimity. You can only slow
          them down.

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011

            > Facebook no longer works for me. Don't know why, but it's possibly because of bad thoughts (mine). I just read somewhere that it's due to "go public" soon, code for selling shares on the stock market. Which means that Zuckerboy will become a multi-billionaire.

            Mark Zuckerberg became the world's youngest self-made billionaire seven years ago, when he was 20. He is now 27, in his 28th year, a specific stage of maturity which according to RS dominates world thinking in our epoch.

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011
              It may also be a good idea to do like me: Every 4 months or so, sometimes every 3 months, I reformat the OS partition on the computer (on Windows, that's Local Disk C) and reinstall everything. That cleans up all the garbage that those anti-spyware, anti-ad, anti-virus, anti-malware apps etc. don't catch and whatever we don't even know about that gets in there over time.

              Once you've made a well-organized routine out of this, it's a cinch that takes a few hours, and most of this time you can just let the installs run while doing other things. Just keep the backups from the OS partition on other partitions and disks (program preferences/options, emails etc. that don't require much space) and also keep the installers for all your software on other local disks at all times (and if you don't have enough local storage space, use DVDs or external hard drives).

              Think of it like a car wash or something, with change of oil and filter and tire-cleaning. A computer is just like a car if you drive it every day.

              Facebook sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't, and when it doesn't work, forget about it and return some other time, it's as simple as that. Facebook is a nice tool to collect contacts; the nice thing is that you don't have to discuss with anybody and you can block anyone of your choice so you don't see each other without this being anybody else's business. As a matter of fact, I've found it a very good idea to stay away from discussions on Facebook, especially in those groups that people keep shanghaiing you into (and particularly political discussions where the nuts hang out -- they'll report you to the FB adm and get your account deleted before you know what hit you!)

              One more thing: On Facebook, always, always use secure browsing (https):

                  Go to your Security Settings page (Account > Account Settings > Security)
                  Click on the Secure Browsing section
                  Check the box provided and save your changes

              And then you can ignore all those hysterical warnings against real viruses, traps and bugs as well as scareware and cyberghosts. There's a lot of garbage on FB, but secure browsing keeps you out of danger.

              Tarjei

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011
                The internet is not a private thing, and it never has been. Those who treat social media like FB like their own bedrooms or something get what they've been asking for imho when their perceived and delusional online privacy is violated by the owners of the domains they're using, whether it's Yahoo or Google or Facebook or whatever. I've been saying this for years, but nobody listens to to the deep wisdom of Uncle Taz.

                They can "improve privacy" until they're blue in their faces, I still wouldn't trust them. The only thing one should demand is the security of online banking and transactions and protection against the kind of ID theft that Frank's better half has been victimized by. If, on the other hand, people wish to upload their drunken underwear pictures and then feel embarrassed about them afterwards and scream bloody murder when "Zuckerboy" sells them to the ad industry, -- well, no comment.

                Don't trust the privacy of emails and text messages either. Remember, being paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get ya -- right Frank? ;)

                Tarjei

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011

                  > Thanks Marice, very interesting. Btw, I'm not mad at Facebook because it's not working for me. I hardly ever go there and am only registered because a beautiful exotic chick insisted. In fact I was trying to figure out how to unsubscribe, but it ain't so easy. To me it's one of the biggest rip-off of all time.

                  Rip-off? How much did you pay them?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011
                    --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart <jds@...> wrote:

                    > Unless you want to promote something ... like Anthroposophy!
                    >
                    > Jim

                    Which opens the can of worms question as to whether or not Facebook is an appropriate venue for the promotion - more accurately called here "propaganda" - of Anthroposophy, when it seems to be more a game of self-promotion.
                    Frank
                    ___________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011

                      > Don't trust the privacy of emails and text messages either. Remember, being paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get ya -- right Frank? ;)

                      That's right. However, a lot depends on who "they" are. The crooks who stole money from my bank account are at least honest in they profile: crooks. Whereas crooks like Sugarboy call themselves "social". Citibank - also crooks - at least provide a necessary service, one which should be non-profit but ain't.
                      Frank
                      ____________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011

                        > <fts.trasla@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Thanks Marice, very interesting. Btw, I'm not mad at Facebook because
                        > it's not working for me. I hardly ever go there and am only registered
                        > because a beautiful exotic chick insisted. In fact I was trying to
                        > figure out how to unsubscribe, but it ain't so easy. To me it's one of
                        > the biggest rip-off of all time.
                        ____

                        Tarjei: Rip-off? How much did you pay them?

                        FB is full, FULL of ads. Propaganda and profit is its raison d'etre. But it promotes itself as a social service, a lie. The schmucks read these ads - subliminally or not - and buy the shit offered. A rip-off, slightly more sophisticated than the ATM crooks, because its legal.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011

                          > Tarjei: Rip-off? How much did you pay them?
                          >
                          > FB is full, FULL of ads. Propaganda and profit is its raison d'etre. But it promotes itself as a social service, a lie. The schmucks read these ads - subliminally or not - and buy the shit offered. A rip-off, slightly more sophisticated than the ATM crooks, because its legal.

                          Hmmm... Facebook hasn't cost me a dime yet, although I've been using it for a few years. To buy shit offered, and to be a schmuck for that matter, is an act of free choice. Being ripped off is not. It usually means that you pay for a brand new Cadillac and get a fifteen year old Chevy instead, for the same price. Or you go to buy some good marijuana, pay for it, and then discover they've sold you poison ivy. You try to buy cannabis and end up with shoe leather. (I think I was ripped off like that once, in my teens. Maybe FB hasn't succeeded in ripping me off yet because experience has made me savvy, hehe.)

                          Tarjei
                        • Maurice McCarthy
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011

                            I do appreciate what you are saying. That the internet was intended as
                            a means of communication and the cultural gift of the world wide web
                            made that even easier so that privacy was never intended, quite the
                            contrary. But things change. It has developed into a global, social
                            world of it own. Consequently, in my judgment there ought to room for
                            a person to have both a private and a public life within it. As an
                            individual I find times of privacy important. Maybe I should just
                            switch off the computer - I'm sure it would be the best way. But is
                            anonymity a crime on the web? Why should I accept google and others
                            tracking my every move like Big Brother and the thought police? It is
                            the grey area between truth and error where Ahriman thrives.

                            I was pleased when I was _not able to open my own bank account from
                            behind the jondo proxy and nor from running the triple encrypted i2p
                            protocol. (An attempt to have a safe protocol where no host is trusted
                            by utilising the unused upload bandwith on home computers to create a
                            secret net within the www. At present it is very slow because only so
                            many thousand use it. One way to speed it up a little is to take down
                            your firewall !!! But if you cannot read the open code then you need
                            to be able to trust whoever wrote it. ) http://www.i2p2.de/

                            Kindest Regards
                            Maurice

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                              The assault against online anonymity now spearheaded by Facebook is troublesome. Facebook is trying to capture the entire web through a log-on system that combines all your registered accounts through one single password. I don't go for that. I use separate accounts for separate services and domains, for as long as such an option lasts.

                              The powers that be probably wish to get at all the pirates and the hackers and the spammers and so on by eliminating online anonymity. You can't even buy an anomymous cell phone anymore, at least not in Norway, like you could in the late nineties, when you just bought a phone, put a cash card in it, and you had a phone number belonging to nobody. Now every phone -- and especially every sim card (which carries your phone number) has to be registered in a real person's name, it's the law -- probably a Taliban sort of thing. Yep, that's it: The Taliban doctrine. We're losing our anonymity because of the Taliban, because of ABB, and we comply and don't complain because otherwise them trrrr-sssts (like GWB called them) will come and get us in the middle of the night.

                              On the other hand, if you're in a forum like this one for a long, long time and everybody else is anonymous as though it's terribly dangerous to opine about anthroposophy and philosophy and so on, that's poor and dumb netiquette imho. It reminds me of Glenn Frey's Smugglers' Blues, 2nd verse:

                              No matter if it's heroin, cocaine, or hash,
                              You've got to carry weapons
                              Cause you always carry cash.
                              There's lots of shady characters,
                              Lots of dirty deals.
                              Ev'ry name's an alias
                              In case somebody squeals.

                              It's the lure of easy money,
                              It's gotta very strong appeal.

                              Glenn Frey: "Smugglers blues"

                              Tarjei

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                                Hey Taz, my experience is that even though I have not connected the yahoo or any phone to the facebook account they actually have been given privledge somehow to my yahoo names which coincide with facebook friends. I see such interesting occurrances in my spam mail that shows me this.

                                A post of pictures just went up on Facebook of my photo album and I didn't sent it up they sent it up to keep conversation going or whatever...strange strange strange.

                                Good Sunda to you,

                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                                  I think it's time to launch a "occupy facebook" movement. You may say: Why don't you just unsubscribe?
                                  It is not possible to unsubscribe from Facebook. You can take down your data from the page, but they keep it on file, for your benefit of course...just in case you ever want to resubscribe. Besides, that beautiful chic who got me in continues to exert pressure. "Facebook or me"? No: "all or nothing".

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 2, 2012
                                    To all those suckers who contribute to making Facebook stockholders rich:

                                    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/technology/for-founders-to-decorators-facebook-riches.html?hp

                                    Frank
                                  • ted.wrinch
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 2, 2012
                                      Serendipity! I came across this video of a talk given by our Eugene Schwarz in 2010 at the Glasshouse, Stourbridge, UK. I think I retrospectively posted the schedule of the conference he's attending before Christmas. Anyway, if you take a look at the video at around 42 minutes he's describing the life of Zuckerboy and the film they made of it called 'The Social Network'. He thinks Mr Facebook is classic Aspergers but also a kind of angel. It's the first I've seen of Mr Schwarz and I think that he's an ace speaker!

                                      http://vimeo.com/20002576

                                      T.

                                      Ted Wrinch

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 2, 2012
                                        Great lecture - thanks.

                                        > Serendipity! I came across this video of a talk given by our Eugene Schwarz in 2010 at the Glasshouse, Stourbridge, UK. I think I retrospectively posted the schedule of the conference he's attending before Christmas. Anyway, if you take a look at the video at around 42 minutes he's describing the life of Zuckerboy and the film they made of it called 'The Social Network'. He thinks Mr Facebook is classic Aspergers but also a kind of angel. It's the first I've seen of Mr Schwarz and I think that he's an ace speaker!
                                        >
                                        > http://vimeo.com/20002576
                                        >
                                        > T.
                                        >
                                        > Ted Wrinch
                                        >
                                        > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith" <fts.trasla@> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > To all those suckers who contribute to making Facebook stockholders rich:
                                        > >

                                        > > http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/technology/for-founders-to-decorators-facebook-riches.html?hp
                                        > >
                                        > > Frank

                                      • ted.wrinch
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
                                          You're welcome, Frank. He's done a few more on education you might not have seen; all are v. good. He seems such a nice guy - must have been great to have him as a teacher!

                                          Today's Children Need Tomorrow's Schools - Elmfield School Lecture

                                          http://vimeo.com/19764517

                                          I'm so impressed; this guy is dynamite! I love the introduction he gives where he describes the first school intake in Stuttgart for the Waldorf cigarette factory kids. Steiner wanted to take these 'apprentice fodder' kids and give them the same quality of education as the rich middle class kids, but in 'half the time', as they had to go to work by 8th grade. I can see why Mr Schwarz has his own web-site, is in demand around the world, and was awarded a Teaching Fellowship at the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in Princeton. Must be amazing to have this kind of talent.

                                          What is Waldorf Education? Part 1 Interview with Eugene Schwartz

                                          http://vimeo.com/22396764

                                          What is Waldorf Education? Part 2 Interview with Eugene Schwartz

                                          http://vimeo.com/22397678

                                          T.

                                          Ted Wrinch