Article on Norway

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
      In honor of our own Norseman, Tarjei, I offer this NYTimes article:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/world/europe/king-harald-of-norway-proves-mettle-with-response-to-july-22-deaths.html?hp

      My grandfather was also Norwegian. He went to America as a young child and grew up of the Lower East Side of Manhattan - which was a basically a tough slum then. He was a longshoreman named Dutch Harry Johnson (like Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront). His real name - my mother once revealed - was Harold Johannson. He never officially became a US citizen - people didn't bother much with such details those days. But his Irish wife once threatened to rat on him to the migros. He was a nice guy, friend of Jimmy Durante.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
        I appreciate the honorary gesture, but this is all about royalty and not much else, so it has nothing whatsoever to do with me, Frank. As a matter of fact, my paternal grandma (1880-1970) was an "old republican" as she called it, i.e. she opposed royalty in 1905, when independent Norway was established and it really counted, but in those days women didn't have the vote yet.
        Personally, I've always been "none of the above", which means I'm totally indifferent to this sort of stuff (in the true spirit of anarchism); so leave it to the tabloids and the gossip columns. The NYT shouldn't have filed this report under "Europe" but under "Royalty" (for the specially interested).

        It should be of great interest to historians, though, whether they be humans, cyborgs, or robots. I'm reading up on the Middle Ages in Scandinavia these days -- you know, when kings were kings and farmers were farmers, warlords were warlords and so on. I've been ruminating about how to go about demanding the king's recognition of myself as warlord or chieftain over my suburb and perhaps expand my territory later on and set myself up as a Duke or something. The king and I could split the taxes.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2011
          I don't think anyone can understand anything in that article in the NYT that Frank linked to in my honor -- and I'm confident that Der Staudi with agree with me here -- without reading history, so here is an appropriate link to help you understand why the NYT is interviewing King Harald the Fifth:
          The first thing you have to do, of course, is to conquer your esoteric aversion to history and and learning and your anthroposophical contempt for scholarship. If you can manage that, you can also learn who the Norwegian kings were. Der Staudi knows all of them, of course -- the dates of their births and deaths and the years of their reigns, their individual characteristics and accomplishments and so on. He is, after all an eminent historian and scholar who is always kind to explain over and over and over again "how historians work", a man of knowledge and learning and academic expertise in this field.

          This shouldn't be off-topic in Sugarland, because this type of history has fascinated anthroposophists for years. Olav Stockland wrote a book called "Norway's Inner History", that is, the history of Norway from an esoteric-anthroposophical point of view. It was published by Dreyer (an ordinary publisher, not an anthroposophical one) in 1969 and then reprinted in 1985 after being out of print for many years, that's how popular it's been. And the author was an academic, an architect in fact. As Der Staudi would have put it: Historians are interested in architecture, and architects are interested in history; that's why there's so much focus on buildings and constructions on the History Channel and BBC.

          That's one thing Der Staudi has missed so far, though, but we're looking forward to when he gets to it: His expert scholarly critique of anthroposophical architecture. Should be a best seller.

          Also read this free ebook:

          King Olaf's Kinsman

          A Story of the Last Saxon Struggle Against the Danes in theDays of Ironside and Cnut

          by Charles W. Whistler

          Yours for aversion to history and reading and esoteric hostility to scholarship, and for idiocy, ignorance, racism, holocaust denial, lunacy -- ? -- I've probably forgotten something.