Ad hominems are now allowed in sugar-land

  • ted.wrinch
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2011
      I always said when I was over in sugar-land that the ad-hominem fallacy, when strictly prohibited, is a fallacy. People's arguments are not completely divorced from their being; logic is not completely separate from emotion or personality; analysing the personality of an individual contributing disjointed, distorted thoughts to a discussion can be illuminating. This kind of thinking was much in evidence from the likes of Der Staudi when I was over there and for this reason I concluded that it was frequently more profitable to discuss him than his contributions. For this I was continually rebuked by Dugan and co and periodically banned from the list. But the sense behind my point of view has now been accepted by Pete over in sugar-land:

      " I think the personalities of Anthroposophists are very much on topic
      because of the direct impact the study of Anthroposophy has on the personality
      of the Anthroposophist. We see many things common to all Anthroposophists - the
      way they view knowledge, materialism, science and their fear-based thinking".

      In this vein, it's interesting to take a look at the fear that motivates Pete's thinking. In a post before this he responded to Steiner's view that what's needed in our time is a way of building a bridge over the gulf that separates science and Christianity. Pete's view was:

      "Why? Why not leave the gulf where it is? And belongs?"

      …

      "To build a "bridge" between science and Christianity... you need some special
      invisible glue that will adhere to two incompatible materials... this "glue"
      goes by many names "psuedo-science"... or "quack science" or "spiritual
      science""

      This is the same kind of fear of the spiritual world that Steiner diagnosed in his own time as a major force preventing the acceptance of an exact knowledge or science of the spiritual and keeping people stuck fast in ancient forms of tradition. We could take this analysis further and wonder how the fear that Pete has expressed here links onto the Greek Orthodox Christianity that he has said is part of his own family tradition.

      T.

      Ted Wrinch