Sense-free thinking vs "the scholar of history"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2011
      In "Occult Science" (GA 13), Rudolf Steiner writes that the very safest path, which may nevertheless be the most challenging for some people, goes through the approach taken in GA 2, GA 3, and GA 4:

      http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA013/English/RSP1963/GA013_c05-03.html

      "The path that leads to sense-free thinking by way of the communications of spiritual science is thoroughly reliable and sure. There is however another that is even more sure, and above all more exact; at the same time, it is for many people also more difficult. The path in question is set forth in my books The Theory of Knowledge implicit in Goethe's World-Conception and The Philosophy of Spiritual Activity. These books tell of what man's thinking can achieve when directed, not to impressions that come from the outer world of the physical senses, but solely upon itself. When this is so, we have within us no longer the kind of thinking that concerns itself merely with memories of the things of sense; we have instead pure thinking which is like a being that has life within itself. In the above-mentioned books you will find nothing at all that is derived from communications of spiritual science. They testify to the fact that pure thinking, working within itself alone, can throw light on the great questions of life — questions concerning the universe and man. The books thus occupy a significant intermediate position between knowledge of the sense world and knowledge of the spiritual world. What they offer is what thinking can attain, when it rises above sense-observation, yet still holds back from entering upon spiritual, supersensible research. One who wholeheartedly pursues the train of thought indicated in these books is already in the spiritual world; only it makes itself known to him as a thought-world. Whoever feels ready to enter upon this intermediate path of development will be taking a safe and sure road, and it will leave him a feeling in regard to the higher world that will bear rich fruit through all time to come."

      It may be interesting to note that Peter Staudenmaier has completely missed the fact that these books, especially GA 4, lead to sense-free thinking, simply because he is totally incapable of such thinking. This is why he describes Rudolf Steiner as an atheist of all things in the 1890´s. When Steiner gave evidence of the contrary later on, not only in his autobiography, but also here in GA 13, which was published in 1909, he is supposed to have suffered from deficient memory of his own life and works. No further comment necessary.

      Tarjei
    • Jo Selsjord
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2011
      The title is not intended to reflect upon anyone - a silly pun, mostly,

      I'm just through catching up on a month of 'AT' messages in a single
      sitting; please insert this filter/condition at reading.

      Add at will my greatful and very humble regards for this abundance of
      wild observation, sensible reflection and unhampered disagreement.

      I will not call any one of you by name, but the contents of what I have
      just read is simply invaluable - maybe also for others: all this
      speculation, doubt and pondering on shadows and light, black and white . . .

      I (think I) see you,

      JoS

      IT TAKES A LOT TO LAUGH, IT TAKES A TRAIN TO CRY
      Well, I ride on a mailtrain, baby,
      Can't buy a thrill.
      Well, I've been up all night
      Leanin' on the window sill.