Re: Crime rate in U.S:

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2011
      Hi Stephen,

      I don't particularly talk about a specific type of crime, simply about the possibilities of crime, and you have all variations of crime within the possible spectra, from theft, to violent robbery and murder, typically connected to various groups around narcotics or foreign groups exporting various goods to eastern countries. The more money there are involved in crime the more violence will be seen, it follows simply the normal distribution.

       You write: "As economic conditions worsen, people loose jobs and income, stabilizing social structures break down, theft goes up."
      Kim: Data tells something else! There is a tendency for people to help each other when crisis is knocking on the door. Just take WW2, the Danes helped each other more than ever.

       You write: " Hungry desperate people cast on their own resources with no social safety net will - and do - steal to survive."
      Kim: They didn't in the 1930's, and it seems to fall after the crisis, besides that no Danish citizen need to steal to survive, only to get narcotics. The world are more in crisis than not, so if your thesis was right, mankind should have been living in a Darwinistic hell, instead of having grown in knowledge and wealth.

      The biggest problem today are organized crime, we have gangs with Islamic background, MC groups, and foreign gangs foraging in Denmark from Romania, Lithuania, and other East European countries. And these groups are filling the prisons. This is not people on the brink of survival.

      Kim