When Pied Pipers play history (was: The Great Initiates)

    Message 1 of 85 , Dec 2, 2010
      I wrote to Frank:

      > And here's something for the holefolks to sink their teeth into: Dan Dugan said to me many years ago that I DARED NOT <sic> take the word "Aryan" in my mouth (or in my pen, on my keyboard, take your pick), so I'm doing it in very big letters with the next installment of "The Great Initiates" by Édouard Schuré (1889). Let them eat their hearts out and keep spitting against the wind ;)

      Mr. Mellett has tried to make a sensational circus out of this in the Unthinkable Facility, and the person referred to by Ted as The Pied Piper -- a title introduced by Dottie, I believe -- has chimed in.
      DD has forgotten this exchange, but PS, who always insists upon historical accuracy(!), says it probably didn't happen. In other words, I'm making it up. Not surprising though, because PS has so little respect for people's memories that he thinks Rudolf Steiner made things up in his autobiography because he didn't remember his youth as accurately as PS knows about it.

      Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 01:09:09 -0700
      From: Dan Dugan (dan dandugan.com)
      Subject: Re: Give me that old time religion?

      To re-connect this theory conveniently with Waldorf, the sub-races of the Aryan root race (notice that Tarjei dares not speak its name) listed above are the framework for ancient history in the fifth and sixth grades of all Waldorf schools, public and private.

      -Dan Dugan

      I seem to recall a follow-up to this later on -- and my memory is usually pretty good -- where DD came across a little stronger and with at least one word in capital letters (indicated by my remark to Frank above), but I would leave that research to professional historians who need to exercise their skills with online archives.

      Yours for research, history, archives and memory,

      Message 85 of 85 , Dec 25, 2010
        Happy, merry, jolly Christmas day to you, Frank -- and to everybody else here. Yes, the Pythagoras chapter is the best in this book by Schuré, I think too.

        Incidentally, the original files (ms word docs and tif images) are up until James has downloaded them for the RS Archive after the holidays:

        http://uncletaz.com/gr-init-docs/