Re: The Foundation Stone Meditation

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 124 , Nov 10, 2010
      Another view
      Soul of man!
      You live in the limbs
      That carry you through the world of space
      Into the sea of spirit-being:
      Practice spirit remembrance
      In the depths of soul,
      Where in the reigning
      Cosmic creator-being
      Your own I
      In God's I
      Is begotten;
      And you will truly live
      In the cosmic human being.

      Kaballah - Christian Angelic Hierarchy

      For the Father Spirit of the heights reigns
      Creating being in the cosmic depths:
      Seraphim, Cherubim, Thrones
      Let resound from the heights
      What in the depths its echo finds;
      This speaks:
      Ex deo nascimur.
      The elemental spirits
      In East, West, North, South hear this:
      May men hear it too.
      Soul of man!
      You live in the heart-lung-beat
      That guides you through the rhythm of times
      To the sensing of your own soul's being:
      Practice spirit contemplation
      In equanimity of soul,
      Where the surging
      Cosmic creative deeds
      Unite
      Your own I
      To the cosmic I;
      And you will truly feel
      In deeds of the human soul.
      For the will of Christ reigns in the earthly sphere
      Granting grace to souls in cosmic rhythms:
      Kyriotetes, Dynamis, Exusiai
      Let from the east inflame
      What through the west takes form;
      This speaks:
      In Christo morimur.
      The elemental spirits
      In East, West, North, South hear this:
      May men hear it too.
      Soul of man!
      You live in the reposing head
      Which opens cosmic thoughts
      from eternal founts to you:
      Practice spirit-seeing
      In peace of mind,
      Where the eternal goals of the gods
      Confer
      The cosmic being's light
      On your own I
      For its free will;
      And you will truly think
      From founts of human spirit.
      For the cosmic thoughts of spirit,
      light imploring, reign in cosmic being;
      Archai, Archangeloi, Angeloi
      Let from the depths demand
      What will be heard in the heights;
      This speaks:
      Per spiritum sanctum reviviscimus.
      The elemental spirits
      In the East, West, North, South hear this:
      May men hear it too.
      At the turning point of time
      The cosmic spirit-light stepped
      Into earthly evolution;
      Night darkness
      Had ended its reign;
      The bright light of day
      Streamed into human souls;
      Light
      That warms
      The poor shepherd hearts
      Light
      That enlightens
      The wise kings' heads.
      Light divine,
      Sun of Christ,
      Warm
      Our hearts,
      Enlighten
      our heads,

      So that good will be
      What we
      From our hearts beget,
      What we
      Through our heads
      Will to achieve.

      Translation: Frank Thomas Smith

      Kim

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "radistasi" <rdistasi@...> wrote:

      > Frank, thank you for your response. This is the first time that I became aware that there was a dash after the 6th line in the last stanza. Maybe I'm simply reaching but at the same time the "dash" seems to allude to the 9fold configuration of the human Being. From what I have read elsewhere the first 3 sets of two stanzas emanate from the spiritual spheres and are directed to the human Being in regard to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit; the 1st, 2nd and 3rd hierarchies; and Will, Feeling and Thinking. While the last two (into three) stanzas then amalgamate with the previous 6 stanzas as a Seventh Level Initiation and would thereby reflect the whole of the 9fold human Being addressing the Christ from out of our own micro-EGO/I AM to the macrocosmic EGO/I AM - the Christ - the Macrocosmic Manu.
      >
      > rick distasi
      >

      > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith" eltrigal78@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Rick,
      > > It would be nice to say that I had that new insight, but I must admit that it is simply a matter of choice. Steiner recited the FSM various times during the Christmas Meeting. The printed version (without the Latin) appearing in the Newsletter later shows 8 stanzas. However, after the sixth line of the last stanza there is a dash after the comma - indicating a separation, but not quite a new paragraph, something Steiner used fairly frequently. On the other hand, it could be argued that the FSM is divided into 4 parts: the first 3 begin with "Soul of man" and the 4th with "At the turning point of time". Each of the first 3 parts has 2 stanzas, so the fourth should only have 2 - making a total of 8 stanzas. I just feel that there should be some kind of natural break there after the sixth line. I never though of the 9fold human being though. Maybe it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.
      > > Best,
      > > Frank
      > >
      > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "radistasi" <rdistasi@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > For Frank T. Smith:
      > > >
      > > > Frank, lately I have been working with the Foundation Stone Meditation to which one can find several different translations. Today, I discovered yours on the web and worked with your translation. I liked the usage of the Latin in the key phrases such as In Christo morimur and the references to the hierarchies. You also gave a brief historical explanation for such usage which I found helpful.
      > > >
      > > > There was another point that I wish to raise which for me is quite intriguing. I couldn't help but notice that the version of the FSM at
      > > > http://southerncrossreview.org/43/foundation-stone.htm is divided into 9 stanzas instead of the usual 8.
      > > >
      > > > Was this done with direct purpose? If so, it is in step with the ninefold spheres of the human Being which I assume was your purpose. If so, I applaud this new insight into the FSM.

> [...]
    • ted.wrinch
      Message 124 of 124 , Nov 11, 2010
        I second Frank - thanks Kim!

        T.