more papal fun

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 12, 2010
      Prof Philip Daileader tells us (in his guidebook to his lecture series on the Late Middle Ages):

      "In 1378, the College of Cardinals convened at Rome and elected an Italian as Pope Urban VI. Later that same year, a group of French cardinals who had participated in the election of Urban VI held another election and chose a Frenchman, Clement VII, who moved to Avignon in 1379.

      "The French cardinals justified their election of Clement VII by arguing that they had elected Urban VI under duress, which made the election invalid. However, because only a splinter group of cardinals participated in the election of Clement VII, his election was at least as open to challenge as Urban VI's had been.

      "Both Urban VI and Clement VII enjoyed widespread support in Europe, with traditional allies favoring the same pope and traditional rivals favoring rival popes. Thus, France and France's allies (Scotland, Castile) supported Clement VII, while England and Germany supported Urban VI.

      Within each kingdom, though, both popes could find supporters, and individual towns and religious orders sometimes split into competing camps, each of which supported one of the two popes.

      "Even after Urban VI and Clement VII died, their supporters refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of the rival pope and, instead, elected successors for their own popes. As a result, rival lines of popes emerged at Rome and at Avignon; even the intervention of monarchs around 1400 failed to convince one or both of these popes to step down.

      Now Dottie, here's the million dollar question for you: Which of these honorable popenesses would you have backed or put your money on? Urban VI in Rome or Clement VII in Avignon?

      Tarjei
    • val2160
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 17, 2010
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Kim Graae Munch
        <kimgm@...> wrote:

        > She refers, in her FB group page, to two books with her name on.
        > Kim

        http://books.google.com/books?id=lDd65vAeFtUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=nac\
        hfolger+rudolf+steiner&hl=en&ei=83uTTNncOoH6sAOMvPS_Cg&sa=X&oi=book_resu\
        lt&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=nachfolger%20rudolf%20\
        steiner&f=false

        http://vimeo.com/10029631