Southern Cross Review Nr. 72

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2010
      Dear ATers,

      The new issue (Nr. 72) of Southern Cross Review is now waiting on your cyber-doorstep

      ( http://SouthernCrossReview.org )– with a new format. If you have a minute, please tell us what you think of it.

      On the "Editor's Page" I get philosophical about natural selection and am waiting to be pounced upon as my only reward.

      In the "Fiction" section a new contributor, R. Ariel Gómez, sends us an unusual story about stories – in Spanish and English. And we are able to offer another Roberto Fox (remember him?) adventure.

      In "Current Events" two articles point to current wars. Ann Jones describes her experiences of the latest "surge", embedded with the U.S. Army in Afghanistan, and Andrew J. Bacevich warns us not to forget the lessons of Iraq, despite Obama's recommendation in his recent speech that we do so.

      Kaye Thomson describes the combination of despair and hope in Burma, where a cruelly despotic military dictatorship continues to oppress the people as the world looks on.

      Now we come to "Features" where two actors appear whom our gringo readers may not know: "Pepe" Mujica, ex-guerrillero, and recently elected president of Uruguay, and Oscar Arias, president of Costa Rica. The latter country has no army and Arias begs Mujica to consider eliminating Uruguay's army – and give good reasons.

      A Speech to Germans by Amos Oz, celebrated Israeli author, on the occasion of his having won the Goethe prize. He talks about God, the devil, Goethe, culture, faith, hope, love....

      And Ken Wilber warns us about being too clever and jumping to conclusions about the meaning of art using a famous painting by van Gogh as example.

      In "Anthroposophy" the lectures about karma and the history of the anthroposophical movement are continued, as well an excerpt concerning the Rose-Cross meditation are offered – all by Rudolf Steiner.

      All the above is pretty heady stuff – so in "Poetry" we perhaps go too far in the opposite direction with a pseudo-poem.

      Enjoy!

      Frank Thomas Smith, Editor

      http://SouthernCrossReview.org