Re: Animal communicators - clever Hans etc.

  • Jo Selsjord
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2010
      Insightful Simone . . .

      Now, Frank (FTS) has some work pending on Google, but I'm sure he'll
      know the sensible approach

      Your 'clever Hans' reference
      (http://www.damninteresting.com/clever-hans-the-math-horse) really
      intrigued me both for its humour and insight.

      Now, Hans is German for John (the Baptist, the Saint or some other), but
      the headliner is a horse anway - and a clever one at that - this I
      like. Now I don't know the precedence of animal intimacy or friendship
      to our human realm, but I think this animal (Hans and the rest) are at
      least a horse's head in front of any contestants - more ancient than
      almost anything we can imagine.

      Tyr to grasp or envelop yourself in the eyes of a horse. Ducks are
      beautiful and close, but compare the horse . . .

      This might be unfair - and I said nothing wittingly about the importance
      of body language for animals, but your mention of autism strikes a chord
      at the same level of intensity as the horse's 'anblick' - returned view
      - not to be disregarded.

      Autism seems to me(/us?) strange beyond almost any comparison (like
      horses), but to me mainly claiming obvious recognition and a place in a
      common world for the future - I think you're on to something, Simone