Southern Cross Review Nr. 71

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2010
      Dear Friends and Subscribers,
      Welcome to the new issue of Southern Cross Review at http://SouthernCrossReview.org
      In the "Editor's Page" we tell you why we think there is really no long-term solution to world unemployment, unless we start thinking in completely different paradigms.
      This month we offer "Fiction" by Yours Truly – having to do with personal identity, or lack of it; Naomi Johnson takes us to China and a young girl's fate on a junk; a young Jewish girl's story is told by the fairy tale author Hans Christian Anderson. Barry Spacks takes us on quite a ride with Hobart and his dog.
      In "Current Events" Check out an article by Ann Jones about the war in Afghanistan. A few months ago we called Afghanistan Obama's Waterloo. Now Ann Jones, who has spent a lot of time there, tells it like it is. We hope there's still time for the President to change his Afghan karma. Tom Englehardt and Michael G. Klare take on two topics that are burning hot – right now: War and Oil! To be really informed, don't miss the two articles.
      Steve Talbott is back with an article in "Science" about synthetic life. Steve doesn't believe in synthetic life, obviously – and he tells us how those who do manufacture the "notion" of it, which is quite different from the reality.
      Under "Features", Chimamanda Adichie, a Nigerian, warms us of the dangers of seeing things as black or white – that there's always more than one story (also in Spanish).
      "Education": If you like theater, be sure to attend Jacque Ensign's drama starring John Dewey and Rudolf Steiner, as the former defends "progressive" schools, and the latter gives him tips about Waldorf education. Also a shorter article by Stacey Palevsky about the integrated (Arab and Jewish) Waldorf schools in Israel.
      In the "Anthroposophy" section, Rudolf Steiner's lectures on Karmic Relations continue, as well as those about the anthroposophical movement.
      "Poetry": A new (for us) poet, Eric G. Muller, translates his experiences with paintings observed in Italy into lovely poems. Also some poems by the well-known American poet Maya Angelou. In case you don't know her though, here's your chance.
      Enjoy!
      Frank Thomas Smith, Editor
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org