Re: Guidelines - 183 - 185 (end)

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "moniker_9" <moniker_9@...> wrote:

      > Frank, I think what you've done is tremendous (is that overly effusive? sorry...) and I appreciate it. My distrust for authorized anthro translations has blossomed over the years, ever since I realized these are people who will translate "Theosophie" as "anthroposophy". Are there, I wonder, any particular translators who you especially trust/distrust? - Larry

      Thanks, Larry. As soon as I can proof read it, it will be available as an E-book in Southern Cross Review. I'll let y'all know. I think that the basic problem with some translations is that at first any anthropop who knew both languages could become an amateur translator. (Actually this is my case as well, although I have done some work "professionally" i.e. for pay - but from Spanish, not German.) So, generally speaking, the earlier Steiner translations are usually the worst. And, his written works are more difficult to translate than the lectures (imo), because of a complicated style and the fact that you can't mess with them. With a lecture (especially the early ones) there's always some doubt as to what was really said...or erroneously recorded (stenography) - so the translator has more leeway, and more room to err. The "theosophy" - "anthroposophy" case: I'm not sure whether it's the fault of the translator or the German publisher. Either way, they base the mis-translation on Steiner having said somewhere that what he meant was always anthroposophy. on the other hand, some translators so revere Steiner, that they insist on completely literal translations, even when the result is very clumsy or even unintelligible English. Others go too far in interpreting what they think he meant. I took up the Guidelines translation because I was unsatisfied with the version currently in print and in elib - starting with the title: "Anthroposophical Leading Thoughts" and "spiritual soul" instead of "consciousness soul", etc. Also, because I never really understood the Guidelines in either language, so I reasoned that in order to translate something you have to understand it. Another problem is that even a good professional translator would need some understanding of anthroposophical terminology and concepts.