Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] East and West - Critics and Old Paths

  • Mikko Nuuttila
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2009
      A good book on Western "yogic" myths is:

      The Body of Myth: Mythology, Shamanic Trance, and the Sacred Geography of the Body

      The bulk of the book is devoted to Greco-Roman and Judeo-Christian prehistorical legends as they sprang from our ancestors' anatomy. This is a fascinating read for the epistemologically curious among us, and certainly for the self-absorbed. One imagines Pogo commenting, "We have met the origins of our mythology, and he is us.

      The book's organization is unorthodox, yet it succeeds in convincing the reader that there is definitely a physical connection between the human body and mythologies. Sansonese, who has practiced raja yoga for years and here shows how yoga can be used as an effective means of attaining a deeper self-consciousness, reveals himself to be a natural successor to Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung. Readers in public and academic libraries who appreciate and delight in the juxtaposition of science and religion, East and West, will especially enjoy this esoteric volume.

      Mikko

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2009
        Often Western individuals follow the old paths of the East. Then, some move to
        more Western practices. For example, Scaligero practiced raja yoga for many
        years, until he found that Steiner's meditation allowed him to achieve those
        results he was seeking, but could not attain through yoga or other methods.

        Scaligero recognized the meaning of the development of rational thinking and
        Western science in relationship with inner practice. Yoga practice belonged to
        an individual that did not yet experience the concept as pure synthesis, but as
        a transcendent superindividual element. Yoga is not necessary anymore because
        human consciousness has changed.
        Aurobindo is an example of Eastern teachers who begin to see the connection with
        modern rationality.

        What about the East? Human consciousness has evolved to the current level of
        abstractness, basically worldwide. Several decades ago was already rare to find,
        in remote parts of the world, individuals whose consciousness had their
        foundation not in their head, but mainly in their heart.
        Today, abstractness is the ordinary level of consciousness of any population in
        the world.
        In this sense I wonder if we can even really distinguish a Western from an
        Eastern individual, today.

        An example cited by Scaligero was represented by the school of Kyoto and Nishida
        Kitaro.
        For Kitaro we need to move beyond speculation to experience thinking, not
        through old methods of contemplation, but within thinking as pure experience or
        junsui keiken.

        Where is the discrimination? Yoga represents a set of teachings that was adapted
        through millennia to overcome the impediments to the spiritual imposed by the
        Kali Yuga. It was designed to fit the possibilities of a different level of
        consciousness still able to experience breathing as something more than just a
        mechanical process. Today's consciousness is completely abstract and those paths
        are not suitable anymore. Do some individuals still need to practice yoga? It
        seems so, but at a certain point they may realize that the barrier is within
        thinking, and that thinking cannot be skipped. Scaligero understood this.

        Federico

        NOTICE:
        COPYING OR POSTING OTHER THAN ON THE ANTHROPOSOPHY_TOMORROW LIST IS AN INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT.
      • fs13997