the Earth as origin of languages

  • Mikko Nuuttila
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2009
      There was a bit of an etymologist in Rudolf Steiner.
      Check out this guy, he suggests the word Earth as the origin for all languages.
      You can read the text on-line, use the zoom function to be able to see the letters.

      Etymologicon universale; or, Universal etymological dictionary. On a new plan. In which it is shewn, that consonants are alone to be regarded in discovering the affinities of words, and that the vowels are to be wholly rejected; that languages contain the same fundamental idea; and that they are derived from the earth, and the operations, accidents, and properties belonging to it (1811)

      http://www.archive.org/details/etymologiconuniv02whit

      Mikko

    • Kim Graae Munch
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2009
        Message
        You are sure it wasn't the planet Earth who was the origin of language?
        Kim

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 15, 2009
          I just thought about the mother god EA, and Eabani.
          Kim

          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Mikko Nuuttila <bellmeine@...> wrote:

          > There was a bit of an etymologist in Rudolf Steiner.
          > Check out this guy, he suggests the word Earth as the origin for all languages.
          > You can read the text on-line, use the zoom function to be able to see the letters.
          >

          > Etymologicon universale; or, Universal
          > etymological dictionary. On a new plan. In which it is shewn, that
          > consonants are alone to be regarded in discovering the affinities of
          > words, and that the vowels are to be wholly rejected; that languages
          > contain the same fundamental idea; and that they are derived from the
          > earth, and the operations, accidents, and properties belonging to it
          > (1811)
          >
          > http://www.archive.org/details/etymologiconuniv02whit
          >
          > Mikko

        • Mikko Nuuttila
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 17, 2009
            No, I'm afraid this guy goes purely along the linguistics line of thought, he does not personify Earth in any way.
            Mikko

            I just thought about the mother god EA, and Eabani.

            Kim

            --- In anthroposophy_ tomorrow@ yahoogroups. com, Mikko Nuuttila <bellmeine@.. .> wrote:

            > There was a bit of an etymologist in Rudolf Steiner.
            > Check out this guy, he suggests the word Earth as the origin for all languages.
            > You can read the text on-line, use the zoom function to be able to see the letters.
            >

            > Etymologicon universale; or, Universal
            > etymological dictionary. On a new plan. In which it is shewn, that
            > consonants are alone to be regarded in discovering the affinities of
            > words, and that the vowels are to be wholly rejected; that languages
            > contain the same fundamental idea; and that they are derived from the
            > earth, and the operations, accidents, and properties belonging to it
            > (1811)
            >
            > http://www.archive. org/details/ etymologiconuniv 02whit
            >
            > Mikko

          • Kim Graae Munch
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 17, 2009
              Message
              I don't personify, but Mother Earth is Ea or Gaea, and that word is wery like EArth, so it seems that the English word are connected to the early nameform, Ea.
              Kim