book Darkness at Night

  • Mikko Nuuttila
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2009
      The Harvard University book Darkness at Night by Edward Harrison is a masterpiece on the history of science, of its attempts to explain just why the sky is dark at night. The sky is so full of stars that the sky ought to be lit by night also. The explanation is not for instance that star light gets weaker traveling from great distances, it would not explain it. Many explanations are brought forward and then discarded as they do not explain the phenomenon after all. The fact is there IS no explanation yet. Such a great mystery is worthy of great consideration. We could equally well state as they used to in Sweden that the Faxhjäst (Faxhorse) covers the sky at night and that is why it gets dark.

      Mikko

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2009
        It seems to me that we can cultivate seeing past what appears to be darkness at night. We can cultivate through practice and love of Christ's task, and our wondering and contemplation, to see past or maybe through where it takes on a purplishly lit sky that gets lighter.....

        All  good things,