Star Trek TOS: The Sun and the Son

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2009
      Hi Frank!

      I don't know when your deadline is for your next SCR, but there's one little detail I'd like to insert into that piece about Star Trek and Anthroposophy. There's an Original Series episode where they meet people on a distant planet somewhere where there's all kinds of strife or other problems, but they keep talking about the news from "the sun," that they hear about "the sun" and this gives them a new perspective on life and new hope and so on. At the end of the episode, Uhura explains to the others that they weren't talking about "the sun" but about "the Son --  the Son of God!

      The interesting thing about this is that although the population of this planet are portrayed, in a way, as harboring the culture of the very early Christians, there is a significant departure from orthodox Christian theology here by associating, or at least implying or confusing, the Sun with the Son (a pun possible only in English), which is reminiscent of the pre-incarnate Christ as a sun-god; this is a terrible heresy in all orthodox Christian thought and is often used as an argument against anthroposophy. An d that's why mention of this episode definitely has its place in "Star Trek and Anthroposophy".

      I won't write this bit before I've reviewed the episode in question; when I wrote the text I had only reviewed about two thirds of the remastered and enhanced TOS collection. 99 episodes mean, after all, 79 hours of viewing. I addition, I also have the 11 Star Trek motion pictures, which would mean many more hours to sit through them all. (Forget the TV spinoffs with hudreds of episodes.) Anyway, such research needs to be taken conscientiously in a case like this.

      Tarjei
    • eltrigal78
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2009
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "elfuncle" <coolvibes@...> wrote:

        No hurry, Tarjei, just send it to the scr address: southerncrossreview at gmail.com - not the one used here, which I never look at - and advise where you want it inserted.
        Thanks,
        Frank

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2009
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "eltrigal78" <eltrigal78@...> wrote:

          > No hurry, Tarjei, just send it to the scr address: southerncrossreview at gmail.com - not the one used here, which I never look at - and advise where you want it inserted.

          I'll put it into the online version I've uploaded and tell you where. Incidentally, I mentioned something about "99 episodes" in the TOS; that was a typo -- I meant 79 episodes of course, with each lasting one hour. (Impossible to go through the later TV spinoffs with hundreds and hundreds of episodes, which is why I don't discuss those.)