Southern Cross Review Nr. 66

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2009

      Dear A_Ters,

      The August-September issue of Southern Cross Review is now (finally) resting on your cyber-doorstep: http://SouthernCrossReview.org

      Last month we mused on Immortality and now we go a step further and take on Evolution in the "Editor's Page".

      John Feffer compares American suicide bombers (oh yeah!) with the Islamic bad-guy version in "Current Events".

      Our "Features" section includes a speech by Michael Jackson, of all people, at Oxford, of all places. If you don't already know it, I think you'll be as surprised as I was. Kaye Thomson reports on the situation in China involving the treatment of the Tibetans, Iftekhar Sayeed muses on the perils of arguments  and Daniel Salzano, a local (Argentinean) columnist, connects the heavenly horoscope with the swine flu terror. It will tickle the ribs of those of you who understand Spanish.

      In "science", Steve Talbott continues his human genome project, and under "Fiction" we offer a story with an Argentine slant by Yours Truly and one of Jorge Luis Borges' more enigmatic (and brilliant) pieces – the latter in Spanish with English translation.

      Anthroposophy: Keith Francis delivers his fifth and final lecture on the evolution of consciousness, also three lectures by Rudolf Steiner and the continuation of his Anthroposophical Guidelines.

      A review of two books by Owen Barfield show that he also wrote fiction, something of which I was unaware. We also offer a review of a beautiful book by Israel's most famous author: Amos Oz.

      In the last issue of SCR, "The Other Tiger" a poem by Borges appeared in English and Spanish. As of now the English version has had 45,240 "hits" (viewings). This is an all-time record and I can't explain it. But it certainly supplied a strong hint to include another poem by him in this issue. Some poems by Oliver Rice bring up the rear.

      Enjoy!

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2009
        You ought to share this on the FB by simply adding the link to your profile, preceded by an intro comment like the one below (depending on the text limit). I'll forward the link to all of my 257 FB friends, and it may take off from there and you'll get an expanded readership. Or maybe I'll beat you to it :)

        Tarjei