Anthroposophy and Psychognosis

  • dick.richardson@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2 4:11 AM

      Anthroposophy and Psychognosis

      I don't know when for I have not even read him, but it is claimed that Steiner coined the term Anthroposophy, and which plainly means Anthrop = Man, or Human; and Sophia = Wisdom.  This would stand in contrast to Scientific Wisdom and the so called `wisdom' of Priestcraft and their religions.  Maybe a wee bit similar to the original (not latter day) gnostics of antiquity, with a mystical knowledge based upon direct experience – not books, science or religious beliefs. And it IS SO and there to be found.

      Back in the nineteen sixties I was looking for a word which could not be mistaken or contain a bias at the time due to cultural nurture, indoctrination, education and brain washing. So I came up with the word Psychognosis. I thought I was the first to invent it, but later when computers came on the scene I think some American guy had already used it way back. However, I did not know that until years later and after writing books it was too late to change it.

      But my meaning of Psychognosis is; Psyche = Self, and Gnosis = a mystical transcendent knowledge (wisdom) gained by integrating with that part of our SELF. No gods or demons and pixies or fairies or hob goblins or beliefs involved, just REALITY as is and consciousness. No science (albeit that I am a great fan of science and always was, but it cannot find consciousness).

      So, I was wondering if or what correlations exists twix what Steiner said and what I have said. I guess I will soon find out.

      Dick Richardson

      Exmoor, UK.

      http://www.psychognosis.net

      as also found on

      http://godprize.org/

      much to my amazement.

      Dick

    • Mike helsher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 1:05 PM
        Thanks Richard,

        This reminds me of "anarcosophy" Tarjei's creation, or my rather silly and rhetorical "bohimeosophy" invention, or any other of a dozen or so recent written individual descriptions of the experience of self. I think it sweet to see so many individual discriptions about "a mystical knowledge based upon direct experience – not books, science or religious beliefs." Just like we all have a different face.

        Best

        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7 9:55 AM
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "dick.richardson@..." <dick.richardson@...> wrote:

          > Anthroposophy and Psychognosis
          >

          > I don't know when for I have not even read him, but it is claimed
          > that Steiner coined the term Anthroposophy, and which plainly means
          > Anthrop = Man, or Human; and Sophia = Wisdom.

          F: Steiner didn't invent the word, it had already been used by someone else, forget who.
        • write3chairs
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8 1:36 PM
            --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith" wrote:

            > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "dick.richardson@" wrote:
            > >

            > > Anthroposophy and Psychognosis
            > >

            > > I don't know when for I have not even read him, but it is claimed
            > > that Steiner coined the term Anthroposophy, and which plainly means
            > > Anthrop = Man, or Human; and Sophia = Wisdom.
            >
            > F: Steiner didn't invent the word, it had already
            > been used by someone else, forget who.

            Frank, do you know when and in what context Steiner first
            used the word? I also thought (assumed) he came up with it.

            Nice to see you again! I was in Germany visiting my brother
            in May. How did you like Berlin? Would have loved to spend
            some time there but couldn't fit it into the 10-day window.

            Love,
            Jenny
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9 7:37 AM
              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs" <write3chairs@...> wrote:

              > > F: Steiner didn't invent the word, it had already
              > > been used by someone else, forget who.
              >
              > Frank, do you know when and in what context Steiner first
              > used the word? I also thought (assumed) he came up with it.

              The Anthroposophical Society was formed in Germany in 1912 as the result of a conflict with the leadership of the Theosophical Society. Steiner was the General Secretary (boss) of the German Section of that society. When he was called a Jesuit by the Theosophists and (in effect) kicked out, he founded the AS, which was originally made up of members of the German Section. The word "anthroposophy" (in German) was first used by a philospher called Zimmermann in the 19th century and possibly by Troxler even before that, but the word has become associated exclusively with Steiner. I don't know if he used it before 1912, but that is doubtful.

              > Nice to see you again! I was in Germany visiting my brother
              > in May. How did you like Berlin? Would have loved to spend
              > some time there but couldn't fit it into the 10-day window.
              >
              > Love,
              > Jenny

              Berlin is a fascinating city, although during the week I was there, very cold for June. Very cosmopolitan, a mix of modern tech and tradition. I was also in Munich, Salsburg and, you guessed it, Dornach. Good to be back on my mountain to rest.
              Love to you too, Frank
            • Kim
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9 9:41 AM
                Some links: Robert von Zimmermann and Anthroposophy.

                In connection with another discussion: The Homeless Souls  (Anima Sola)

                Kim

                --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith" <eltrigal78@...> wrote:

                > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs" write3chairs@ wrote:
                > >
                > > > F: Steiner didn't invent the word, it had already
                > > > been used by someone else, forget who.
                > >
                > > Frank, do you know when and in what context Steiner first
                > > used the word? I also thought (assumed) he came up with it.
                >
                > The Anthroposophical Society was formed in Germany in 1912 as the result of a conflict with the leadership of the Theosophical Society. Steiner was the General Secretary (boss) of the German Section of that society. When he was called a Jesuit by the Theosophists and (in effect) kicked out, he founded the AS, which was originally made up of members of the German Section. The word "anthroposophy" (in German) was first used by a philospher called Zimmermann in the 19th century and possibly by Troxler even before that, but the word has become associated exclusively with Steiner. I don't know if he used it before 1912, but that is doubtful.
                >
                > > Nice to see you again! I was in Germany visiting my brother
                > > in May. How did you like Berlin? Would have loved to spend
                > > some time there but couldn't fit it into the 10-day window.
                > >
                > > Love,
                > > Jenny
                >

                > Berlin is a fascinating city, although during the week I was there, very cold for June. Very cosmopolitan, a mix of modern tech and tradition. I was also in Munich, Salsburg and, you guessed it, Dornach. Good to be back on my mountain to rest.
                > Love to you too, Frank

              • ottmar12
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9 11:38 AM
                  The word Anthroposophia is much older, in fact. The first martyr of the Classical Rosicrucians, Adam Haslmayr wrote a book with that title before or after 1610. He was sentences to many years on a galley, because of his connections to the Rosicrucian circle in Tuebingen, around Tobias Hess, who was the spiritus rector there, Johann Valentin Andreae, Schickart and others. Meanwhile an even earlier use of that term anthroposophia was found, but I forgot where, it was if I recall correctly Heinrich Agrippa von Nettesheim or Johann Trithemius, both a century before Haslmayr.
                  Rudolf Steiner took up this term to show the contrast to the Theosophia, wisdom of God and wisdom of Man.