Re: Pain, Suffering and the New Jerusalem

  • Mike helsher
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2009
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Distasi" <radistasi2@...> wrote:

      > Below is an excerpt from Steiner's Gospel of St. John cycle in Hamburg (1908).
      >
      > "Just as wisdom was evolved upon the Moon, in order that it might now be found in all things, so in like manner is love evolving. Love came into existence first in its lowest, its most sensuous form, during the Lemurian period, but during the course of life upon the Earth, it will become ever more and more spiritualized, until at last, when the Earth has reached the end of its evolution, the whole of existence will have become pervaded with love, as today it is pervaded with wisdom, and this will be accomplished through the activity of human Beings if they but fulfill their task.
      >
      > The Earth will then pass over to a future planetary condition which is called Jupiter. The Beings who will wonder about upon Jupiter, just as human Beings move about upon the Earth, will find love exhaling from all creatures, the love which they themselves, as
      > human Beings, will have placed there during their life upon the Earth. They will find love in everything just as we today find wisdom everywhere. Then human Beings will develop love out of their own inner selves in the same way that they are now little by little
      > evolving wisdom. The great cosmic love that here upon the Earth is beginning its existence will then permeate all things."
      >
      > Steiner speaks of, "the whole of existence will have become pervaded with love . . ." I don't have the exact quote on hand but Steiner also stated that through pain (and suffering) we gain wisdom. With that thought in mind the following is from his, "Occult Science": "Wisdom is the prerequisite for Love; Love is the result of Wisdom that has been reborn in the I."
      >
      > Based on the above I would assert that the term Love needs to be examined and understood in the sense that pain and suffering are the seeds of the very forces of Love that imbue the earth with soul impulses that are creating the future New Jerusalem. Over the millenia humanity has endured pain and suffering on a scope to which we really can not even begin to plumb its depths. In a broader sense of the word 'Love', through its pain and suffering humanity has been in the process of creating the New Jerusalem. This gives us a greater insight into the purpose of pain and suffering. Look about the world on a daily basis. Its pain and suffering through every moment is inconceivable for any one human to truly behold. Yet, it is this pain and suffering that is fashioning the New Jerusalem.
      >
      > rick distasi

      Thanks Rick, this is very timely for me, deep and insightful. Since I've started a kind of personal purging of concepts, I'm finding even more clarity and resonant understanding with Rudolf Steiner's legacy.

      Best

      Mike
    • val2160
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 15, 2009
        Often life tests us through suffering,
        leads us astray through joy;
        so let us make joys the test of our heart
        and sufferings paths to truth.

        Rudolf Steiner
      • Kim
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
          Hi Val,
          Thank you for this one, I have had reason to use it a couple of times.
          Kim

          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "val2160" <wdenval@...> wrote:

          > Often life tests us through suffering,
          > leads us astray through joy;
          > so let us make joys the test of our heart
          > and sufferings paths to truth.
          >
          > Rudolf Steiner

        • val2160
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
            You're welcome Kim. Apparently I have had reason to post it a couple
            times. Here is a story about a boy and a family that I know who have all
            suffered a great deal:

            http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20070816/NEWS/70816067

            Val

            --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kimgm@...> wrote:

            > Hi Val,
            > Thank you for this one, I have had reason to use it a couple of times.
            > Kim
            >
            > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "val2160" wdenval@
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Often life tests us through suffering,
            > > leads us astray through joy;
            > > so let us make joys the test of our heart
            > > and sufferings paths to truth.
            > >
            > > Rudolf Steiner

          • val2160
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
              My friend, the leg, has just e-mailed me this lovely recommendation of
              books, I assume for Father's Day, because, well, she is just that kind
              of gal! -Val

              http://www.abebooks.com/books/oliver-twist-anne-frank-lord-flies-childho\
              od/shatteredchildhood.shtml
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
                Hi Rick and Friends,
                I believe this quote below is exactly what can be experienced properly at the age of 46, and I believe it has something to do with the Mother becoming like a virgin again. When we consider these experiences that occur that turn our hearts to love our fellow man in an even deeper holier way we begin to truly participate in the instreaming of the sixth epoch, or the New Jerusalem as it is called here in this post by Rick. Ooops got to run...d

                p.s. The last words of the third paragraph speak to this specifically....

                > Below is an excerpt from Steiner's Gospel of St. John cycle in Hamburg (1908).
                >
                > "Just as wisdom was evolved upon the Moon, in order that it might now be found in all things, so in like manner is love evolving. Love came into existence first in its lowest, its most sensuous form, during the Lemurian period, but during the course of life upon the Earth, it will become ever more and more spiritualized, until at last, when the Earth has reached the end of its evolution, the whole of existence will have become pervaded with love, as today it is pervaded with wisdom, and this will be accomplished through the activity of human Beings if they but fulfill their task.
                >
                > The Earth will then pass over to a future planetary condition which is called Jupiter. The Beings who will wonder about upon Jupiter, just as human Beings move about upon the Earth, will find love exhaling from all creatures, the love which they
                themselves, as
                > human Beings, will have placed there during their life upon the Earth. They will find love in everything just as we today find wisdom everywhere. Then human Beings will develop love out of their own inner selves in the same way that they are now little by little
                > evolving wisdom. The great cosmic love that here upon the Earth is beginning its existence will then permeate all things."
                >
                > Steiner speaks of, "the whole of existence will have become pervaded with love . . ." I don't have the exact quote on hand but Steiner also stated that through pain (and suffering) we gain wisdom. With that thought in mind the following is from his, "Occult Science": "Wisdom is the prerequisite for Love; Love is the result of Wisdom that has been reborn in the I."
                >
                > Based on the above I would assert that the term Love needs to be examined and understood in the sense that pain and suffering are the seeds of the
                very forces of Love that imbue the earth with soul impulses that are creating the future New Jerusalem. Over the millenia humanity has endured pain and suffering on a scope to which we really can not even begin to plumb its depths. In a broader sense of the word 'Love', through its pain and suffering humanity has been in the process of creating the New Jerusalem. This gives us a greater insight into the purpose of pain and suffering. Look about the world on a daily basis. Its pain and suffering through every moment is inconceivable for any one human to truly behold. Yet, it is this pain and suffering that is fashioning the New Jerusalem.

                > rick distasi

              • Mike helsher
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009

                  > Hi Rick and Friends,
                  > I believe this quote below is exactly what can be experienced properly at the age of 46, and I believe it has something to do with the Mother becoming like a virgin again. When we consider these experiences that occur that turn our hearts to love our fellow man in an even deeper holier way we begin to truly participate in the instreaming of the sixth epoch, or the New Jerusalem as it is called here in this post by Rick. Ooops got to run...d

                  This is quite interesting Dottie because I last year, my 46'th, I found myself at some "healing with the mother" workshops. And I re-read the old classic "Iron John" which is "a book about men" but has a chapter in ti called "stealing the key from under the mothers pillow". I was so enamored by the experience, that I read it a second time right after I finished it ( I had read it in 1991 once also). It is said to be a companion to "Woman who run with the wolves" which is geared to woman. I wound up writing a poem called "Mother" last year too.

                  Anyways, it would seem from my experience that you are on to something hear. I realized that I certainly have forgiven my mother from a psychological perspective. And thinking about this had me remember a vision I had last year about her as a child.

                  Thanks for the reminder.

                  Best

                  Mike