Southern Cross Review Nr. 65

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2009

      Dear Friends and Subscribers,

      The June-July issue of Southern Cross Review has just arrived on your cyber-doorstep a.k.a http://SouthernCrossReview.org . This issue of SCR starts off in the Editor's Page with a bilingual conversation on immortality and my personal recollection of the Buchenwald concentration camp, where President Obama recently spoke. And our "letters" page has gradually taken on a life of its own.

      In "Current Events" women victimized by male violence is not new, but its increase since the young men psychologically abused by war in Iraq and Afghanistan have returned home and are taking their frustrations out on the wives and girlfriends, justifies Ann Jones's article being described as "current".

      Despite my great admiration for Barack Obama, I take time out from admiration to wonder about the wisdom or foolishness of his belligerent policy in Afghanistan. In a related direction, Tom Englehardt worries about the bad dreams resulting for the death of civilians resulting from American bombing in the two countries. James Carroll writes about what's going on in the less than clandestine war between Obama and the Catholic Church.

      "Features" – I was relieved to learn that Jorge Luis Borges hated the dubbing of movies as much as I do, and he was able to describe the reasons for his rejection of the process so eloquently that dubbing should have ended forthwith – but it didn't. Maybe with this English translation an anti-dubbing movement (non-violent of course) with arise. Gaither Stewart gets personal in respect to the world in general, going much farther that dubbing. Leo Tolstoy long ago mused about organized religion, his idea about what is "real" religion, and non-violence.

      Under "Science" Steve Talbott continues his in-depth articles about the scientific confusion in respect to the investigations of the human Genome. Closer to home, Caelainn Barr (Irish, residing in Argentina) impertinently but accurately calls Argentina "The Soya Republic"; the article is also translated into Spanish but the benefit of our Argentineans who will pick it up from Google.

      The "Fiction" section has one item, a short work by Heinrich von Kleist that appeared here a couple of years ago and which I noticed, thanks to a reader who commented on it now, that it has been accessed more than 54,000 times since then. Wow! Certainly deserves a repeat performance. A bilingual story by yours truly, also previously well received, in repeated under "Children's Corner/Rincón Infantil."

      In "Anthroposophy" Keith Francis's lectures on the history of evolution continue, along with three contributions by Rudolf Steiner: an article about social laws, the continuation of his Genesis lectures and Anthroposophical Guidelines.

      Two very different "Book Reviews" bring up the rear. My rave about the characters and plot of the fictional "The Millennium Trilogy" and Stanley Fish's more reserved but positive thoughts about Terry Eagleton's book on Reason, Faith and Revolution.

      In "Poetry" we offer another poem by Jorge Luis Borges in Spanish and English.

      Don't miss any of it.

      Frank

      http://SouthernCrossReview.org

      Frank Thomas Smith - Editor