Online Meeting with John Sherman this Saturday, June 6 at 1 pm PDT (GMT -7)

  • Ben Gilberti
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

      News from River Ganga

      Worldwide Online Meeting with John Sherman

      This Saturday, June 6 at 1 pm PDT (GMT -7)

      riverganga

      Click here to read this email in your browser, with bigger fonts.

      Please forward this email to a friend.

      To look at yourself just once, and then again, and then again... is to move from the endless work of self-definition to the endless adventure of self-discovery, which is the vichara.

      — John Sherman
      Worldwide Online Meeting with John Sherman
      Saturday, June 6 at 1 pm PDT (GMT -7)

      People all over the world meet with John online for a couple of hours.

      Click here for more information about John Sherman.

      Click here for a brief video message from John Sherman.

      This is very much like a call-in radio show. If you simply want to listen to the meetings, all you need to do is install and configure the software and have speakers attached to your computer.

      If you wish to speak with John, you will need a headset with microphone. Earbuds and a microphone will work, too.

      Click here for instructions.

      1) Local times.

      The meeting begins at 1 o'clock in the afternoon in California where we live (Pacific Daylight Saving Time), or -7 GMT.

      To find out what time the meeting will begin where you are, follow this link and select your local area from the drop-down:

      Click here to see what time the meeting will begin where you are.

      Click here for a complete schedule of Worldwide Meetings.

      2) A password is required to access the meeting room.

      You will not be able to log in to the meeting unless you enter the password in your login information.

      Click here for detailed Windows instructions.

      Click here for detailed Mac instructions.

      3) You can email John with questions or reports and he will respond to them during the meeting.

      If you don't have a microphone or you are not able to speak with John during the meeting for any reason, you can email him at online@... ahead of time and he will respond during the meeting.

      Click here for more instructions.

      Our events are always free of charge. All are welcome.
      Spontaneous donations to support our work are always welcome and gratefully accepted.

      Click here for more information on how you can help support our work.

      RiverGanga Foundation (FEIN 77-0561647) is a public not-for-profit organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code. All donations are tax-deductible according to IRS regulations.

      Subscribe to our newsletter

      Subscription is completely free.

      Click here to sign up.

      Contact Information

      RiverGanga Foundation
      PO Box 1566
      Ojai, California 93024
      Ph: (805) 649-1600
      Email: info@...
      Websites: www.riverganga.org   www.johnsherman.org

      Copyright 2002-2009 RiverGanga Foundation. All rights reserved.

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      RiverGanga Foundation
      PO Box 1566
      Ojai, California 93024
      United States

      Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!

    • Mike helsher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Ben Gilberti <b7gilberti@...> wrote:

        > News from River Ganga
        >

        > Worldwide Online Meeting with John Sherman
        > This Saturday, June 6 at 1 pm PDT (GMT -7)

        Nice to hear your voice at the meeting today Ben...:) and thanx for posting it hear. I'm sure that there are some, especially on this heavy hitter list, that might not think John's simple message is worth much. Perhaps if they were incarcerated for 18 years they might think differently. Steiner mentioned frequently the need for personal discernment, and that we should not take anything he said as fact. For me, John's conversation about the Vichara, is directly related to Rudolf Steiner's ardent, turgid, intellectual discourse that points to an "exceptional state" that is beholden when we observe the nature of our own thinking. Which can be summed up as "in the beginning was the word." Of course these words are useful only as pointers, But "the word"? that can only be experienced...

        Best

        Mike
      • Ben Gilberti
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
          Thank you Mike.  And I agree, Rudolph would love the vichara, no doubt about it.  Did you tell the folks here about the new vichara group?

          Perhaps you did, but I'll tell them again.

          Our good buddy Mike Helsher has just created a new Yahoo Group called "Vichara_Conversation."  I think it's a great idea.  Here's the link:

          I love what Mike's written as the Group Description, which as you'll see reads as follows:

          Although this group is placed in the "spirituality" category here on Yahoo, it is in fact not intended to discuss spiritual understandings or practices.

          These topics are indeed welcome, and may come up from time to time; as will the thoughts, feelings, and experiences, both good and bad, of everyday human life.

          But the main focus here is on what doesn't come and go; what is always here, present in this moment, that never changes; Is neither harmed nor helped by all of whatever comes and goes in us; that which cannot be spoken about, and that is almost to simple to understand.

          We're talking about the ordinary, un-mitigated un-describable, un-clouded by spiritual or therapeutic understanding, experience of YOU!   here, now, in this instant.

          If you're new all this, you're welcome to join as part of your exploration into what it's all about.  We've put up some relevant Links and Files.  A good one to start with, in my opinion, is the following, which provides free access to mp3 recordings of John's recent talks and discussions about the vichara:

          http://www.johnsherman.org/john_sherman_podcast/

          Anyway, do consider joining us.  I can assure you, far from detracting from Anthroposophy, it can only enhance it, in an indirect way that does not involve any concepts or ideas.  I can't explain that, but in time you'll find that to be the case.

          Much Love,

          Ben

          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Mike helsher" <mhelsher@...> wrote:

          > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Ben Gilberti b7gilberti@ wrote:
          > >

          > > News from River Ganga
          > >

          > > Worldwide Online Meeting with John Sherman
          > > This Saturday, June 6 at 1 pm PDT (GMT -7)
          > >

          > Nice to hear your voice at the meeting today Ben...:) and thanx for posting it hear. I'm sure that there are some, especially on this heavy hitter list, that might not think John's simple message is worth much. Perhaps if they were incarcerated for 18 years they might think differently. Steiner mentioned frequently the need for personal discernment, and that we should not take anything he said as fact. For me, John's conversation about the Vichara, is directly related to Rudolf Steiner's ardent, turgid, intellectual discourse that points to an "exceptional state" that is beholden when we observe the nature of our own thinking. Which can be summed up as "in the beginning was the word." Of course these words are useful only as pointers, But "the word"? that can only be experienced...
          >
          > Best
          >
          > Mike

        • Mike helsher
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
            Thanks Ben,

            John's simple non-teaching of the Vichara has only enhanced my understanding, and deepened my reverence for the phenomenal gift to humanity that Rudolf Steiner's legacy is. The vichara is "The Philosophy of Freedom" 101, for dummies, like me..:)I've mentioned here before that the Vichara directly correlates to what RS calls an "exceptional state" in his book "The Philosophy of Freedom" where in we observe our own thinking. And I've heard this idea described as "not I but Christ in me."

            John openly admits that he knows nothing about reincarnation or Karma in relation to it. This is where I think RS's legacy can be extremely helpful. But I think it can also be twisted into un-questioned beliefs; something RS almost always frowned upon. He often mentioned that we should discern for ourselves whether anything he said was true.

            Lately, when I get a chance to do some formal meditation, I get bombarded with sense free perceptions that I have no clue about. I'm really looking forward to reading "How to know Higher Worlds" again in a few months. I feel like I'm starting from scratch, which is kinda cool...:)

            Best

            Mike

          • lightsearcher1
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2009
              Thread sent me searching on "atma vichara." I found info on
              this Eastern tradition a number of years ago and am grateful
              to have come across it again.

              The following is located on a blog dedicated completely to
              Sri Ramana (d. 1950) and atma vichara. It may not be a final
              word - but might add context.

              - John Sherman is not correct when he says that `The actuality of the
              vichara seeks nothing'...
              - John Sherman objects that `the vichara seeks nothing', he is taking
              the verb `seeks' too literally, and is failing to understand the intended
              meaning that lies behind it in this context...
              - John Sherman is also confused when he talks of `the appearance of
              consciousness' or `the arising of consciousness'...
              - When John Sherman talks about consciousness `appearing' or `arising',
              he is clearly implying that consciousness is not the absolute reality, but
              according to Sri Ramana consciousness is the absolute reality...
              - he confuses the whole practice when he says, `Just look at you. Not your
              true self, not beingness, not timelessness ...'. When we look at ourself —
              that is, at our essential consciousness `I' — what we are really looking at
              is not anything other than our true self, our timeless being (even though
              our true self now appears to us to be this false thinking `I'). We cannot
              look at ourself correctly without looking at our true self, `I am', because
              our true self alone is that which now appears to be our false self....

              Shortlink: http://tinyurl.com/lv8w2k

              http://happinessofbeing.blogspot.com/2009/04/atma-vichara-practice-of-looking-at-or.html

              Self-enquiry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-enquiry
              Ramana Maharshi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramana_Maharshi

              ::::

            • Mike helsher
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13, 2009
                I think it's normal in our time that people defend their time honored descriptions *about* what this or that is. Tarjei's report on the hole speaks clearly to that. The descriptions are helpful, for a time, but also a big distraction. I seem to remember something that RS wrote about the worst thing that could happen to religion, is the frozen intellectual understanding heaped upon it over the years (greatly paraphrased). John is probably wrong about a lot of stuff, which he freely admits, as was Ramana, as was Rudolf Steiner. When a person cloths their personal experience of spirit in words, and then someone else un-questioningly believes the words, I think that's just plain wrong...and in those un-questioned beliefs we have the cause of all human war, slaughter, stupidity and intelligent-ignorance.

                Best

                Mike

                --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "lightsearcher1" <lightsearcher1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > <mhelsher@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Ben Gilberti

                > > > Nice to hear your voice at the meeting today Ben...:) and thanx for
                > > posting it hear. I'm sure that there are some, especially on this heavy
                > > hitter list, that might not think John's simple message is worth much.
                > > Perhaps if they were incarcerated for 18 years they might think
                > > differently. Steiner mentioned frequently the need for personal
                > > discernment, and that we should not take anything he said as fact. For
                > > me, John's conversation about the Vichara, is directly related to Rudolf
                > > Steiner's ardent, turgid, intellectual discourse that points to an
                > > "exceptional state" that is beholden when we observe the nature of our
                > > own thinking. Which can be summed up as "in the beginning was the word."
                > > Of course these words are useful only as pointers, But "the word"? that

              • Kim Graae Munch
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 2009
                  Message
                  As nobody is correct, it's a good idea to correlate the information from more than one source, and in this case Ramana and Rudolf Steiner share concept, but that doesn't mean that you should discard what John promotes, but it should extend your understanding, there is no need to go into defense mode.
                  Cheers,
                  Kim

> [...]

                  > > <mhelsher@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In anthroposophy_ tomorrow@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Gilberti

                  > > > Nice to hear your voice at the meeting today Ben...:) and thanx for
                  > > posting it hear. I'm sure that there are some, especially on this heavy
                  > > hitter list, that might not think John's simple message is worth much.
                  > > Perhaps if they were incarcerated for 18 years they might think
                  > > differently. Steiner mentioned frequently the need for personal
                  > > discernment, and that we should not take anything he said as fact. For
                  > > me, John's conversation about the Vichara, is directly related to Rudolf
                  > > Steiner's ardent, turgid, intellectual discourse that points to an
                  > > "exceptional state" that is beholden when we observe the nature of our
                  > > own thinking. Which can be summed up as "in the beginning was the word."
                  > > Of course these words are useful only as pointers, But "the word"? that

                • write3chairs
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13, 2009
                    --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Graae Munch" wrote:

                    > As nobody is correct, it's a good idea to correlate the
                    > information from more than one source, and in this case
                    > Ramana and Rudolf Steiner share concept, but that doesn't
                    > mean that you should discard what John promotes, but it
                    > should extend your understanding, there is no need to go
                    > into defense mode.
                    > Cheers,
                    > Kim

                    It amuses me how people will launch into attack or defense
                    mode over almost anything that is not a life and death matter.
                    John Sherman is a good example. I think Lightsearcher, who we
                    haven't heard from in quite awhile (nice to see You again),
                    was merely pointing to something, not a *final* word but words
                    that "might add context," he said, and not endorsing it, per se.

                    And I recently heard a person say that John gets on her nerves
                    because ne never really *says* anything! I find this to be true
                    about Eckhart Tolle. A friend sent me a link to one of his
                    videos one time and I thought to finally take a look and see
                    what this guy whose name I see around a lot has to say.
                    I couldn't listen to him for more than just a few minutes
                    without cringing. Which reminds me of something else, a blog
                    entry I read by someone who finds the word "pumice" arousing.
                    A few people complained, but I agree; it IS an arousing word.

                    Cheers,
                    Jenny

                    On Behalf Of Mike helsher

                  • Mike helsher
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 13, 2009
                      Well I do enjoy defending something that I feel and see truth in. That is how I got involved with this list a long time ago. Having an inkling or an intuition that the critics Of Steiner were a bunch of talking heads. Lost in the concepts. Then I saw that so called anthros get lost in the 320 volumes of written concepts that a truly great man left for us. The more insistent talking heads from both camps have gotten booted from this list over time.

                      "there is such a great difference between the things to which we gradually learn to swear in the materialistic epoch, between the abstract thinking logic, which merely takes hold of the head, and the sense of reality, which is alone able at the present time to lead us to welfare and security." RS - "The remedy for our diseased civilization".

                      http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/RemCiv_index.html

                      John speaks clearly and simply to me about the "sense of reality, which is alone able at the present time to lead us to welfare and security" without all the baggage of inflamed abstract logical spiritual understanding, which was at best, for me, helpful sometimes, mostly as a distraction.

                      But there certainly might be "a wrench for every nut in this world"...

                      Best

                      Mike