Joan of Arc

  • DB
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2009
      Her birthday was actually yesterday. This little biographical sketch has
      some interesting things I didn't know.
      Deborah
      ****************

      It was on this day in 1431 that *Joan of Arc* was burned at the stake in
      Rouen, France. In the centuries that have passed, she's become a
      national icon in France. She is to the national identity of France,
      novelist Julian Barnes notes, what Robin Hood is to England.

      Statues of Joan of Arc stand all over parks and churches in France, and
      nearly every French town has a street named for her, called "Jeanne
      d'Arc." One 19th-century historian wrote that Joan of Arc "loved France
      so much that France began to love itself."

      Joan of Arc was a 13-year-old peasant girl when she began to hear voices
      in her garden. The voices, she recounted, were those of saints Michael,
      Margaret, and Catherine, and they eventually told her that she needed to
      save France. At the time, France was engaged in the Hundred Years War,
      and the English had the French town of Orleans under siege. In April of
      1429, Joan of Arc asked the French government for troops that she could
      lead to liberate the captured Orleans. She'd met with the crown prince
      and theologians, and they thought she could be of use in the fight
      against the English, and so Joan of Arc was given an army to command.

      She went into battle wearing a white suit of armor and carrying up high
      a banner depicting an image of the Trinity. An English arrow hit her in
      the shoulder, but she was OK. Her army succeeded in liberating Orleans:
      English troops fled, and Joan's army took over their surrounding forts.

      In another battle, Joan of Arc — now known as "the maid of Orleans" —
      was taken hostage by Burgundian troops and sold to the English. She was
      imprisoned for over a year, often chained to a wooden block, while
      interrogators attempted to extract confessions out of her. Then, on
      February 21, 1431, she was brought to trial under an ecclesiastical
      court. She stuck to her story that she had heard the voices of saints
      and it was they who commanded her to serve France. Interrogators
      demanded that she retract her statements. She was convicted of heresy
      and brought before a large crowd to be sentenced, condemned, and handed
      over to secular officials. Then, on this day, when she was 19 years old,
      she was burned at the stake.

      In 1456 (25 years after she died), a posthumous retrial was held at
      which she was exonerated. In 1920, she was canonized a Catholic saint.
      Joan of Arc has been portrayed in more than 20 films; the first was made
      by director Georges Melies in 1899. And she's the subject of more than
      20,000 books.

      One of these is by Mark Twain, who spent 12 years researching her life
      and wrote a book called /Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc/, first
      serialized in /Harper's Magazine/ and then published as a book in 1896.
      It's a fictional account and purports to be written by Joan of Arc's
      page and personal secretary. But the book is mostly devoid of the humor
      that Mark Twain is famous for. He genuinely admired Joan of Arc, and
      wrote an earnest book about her.

      Mark Twain later said, "I like Joan of Arc best of all my books; and it
      is the best; I know it perfectly well."
    • val2160
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2009
        Yesterday was the anniversary of the day that Joan of Arc was burned at
        the stake. -Val

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, DB <laquerencia33@...>

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2009
          OK - her birthday into the spiritual world then. Not to nitpick or
          anything.
          DB

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2009
            Yes, she was born on January 6th it is said.

            All good things,

            wrote:

> [...]
            > which she was exonerated. In 1920, she was canonized a Catholic saint.
            > Joan of Arc has been portrayed in more than 20 films; the first was
            made
            > by director Georges Melies in 1899. And she's the subject of more than
            > 20,000 books.
            >
            > One of these is by Mark Twain, who spent 12 years researching her life
            > and wrote a book called /Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc/, first
            > serialized in /Harper's Magazine/ and then published as a book in
            1896.
            > It's a fictional account and purports to be written by Joan of Arc's
            > page and personal secretary. But the book is mostly devoid of the
            humor
            > that Mark Twain is famous for. He genuinely admired Joan of Arc, and
            > wrote an earnest book about her.
            >
            > Mark Twain later said, "I like Joan of Arc best of all my books; and

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:anthroposophy_tomorrow-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:anthroposophy_tomorrow-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2009
              Yes, into the spiritual worlds....its interesting as its noted that her birth in the year of 1413 was the beginning of Michael's reign, or the Consciousness Soul reign, Michael's intelligence manifesting, birthing here forthright in the earthly realm, and her death, on the 30th her rebirth and taking with her the first rays of the Light of what can be accomplished here when a human being hears the Call of Michael 'onwards, ever onwards'.

              So in essence we have Michael's light birthing after a full on descent and into the earthly realm and the Light of Christ within that child ascending upwards with the Intelligence of Love within her.

              All good things,

              Message 6 of 6 , May 31, 2009

                > Yes, into the spiritual worlds....its interesting as its noted that her birth in the year of 1413 was the beginning of Michael's reign, or the Consciousness Soul reign, Michael's intelligence manifesting, birthing here forthright in the earthly realm, and her death, on the 30th her rebirth and taking with her the first rays of the Light of what can be accomplished here when a human being hears the Call of Michael 'onwards, ever onwards'.
                >
                > So in essence we have Michael's light birthing after a full on descent and into the earthly realm and the Light of Christ within that child ascending upwards with the Intelligence of Love within her.

                "...An event which illustrates especially well the streaming of spirituality into earthly events was the emergence and destiny of Jeanne d'Arc, the maid of Orleans (1412-1431). What she did came from the deepest subconscious fount of her soul. She followed the faint inspirations of the spiritual world. Chaos reigned on earth, through which the Consciousness Soul age was to be hindered. Michael had to prepare his future mission from the spiritual world. He was only able to do so when his impulses were received by human souls. The maid of Orleans had such a soul. He also acted through many other souls, even when it was only possible in a moderate way and is less apparent to official history. He met his Ahrimanic adversary in such events as the war between England and France.
                The Luciferic adversary he met in those times was spoken of in the previous contemplation. But the events show that that adversary was also especially active in the time following the Maid of Orlean's appearance. One sees in those events that humanity was unable to contend with the intervention of the spirit-world in human affairs, which was understood and could also be integrated into the will at a time when imaginative understanding was still present. Contention with such intervention became impossible with the end of the Comprehension or Sensibility-Soul era; the attitude corresponding to the Consciousness Soul had not yet been found at that time; it has not yet been accomplished even today.
                What happened was that Europe's formation was arranged from the spiritual world, without man realizing what was happening and without his efforts having a meaningful influence.
                To appreciate the meaning of those events, which were realized from the spirit world, one needs only to imagine what would have happened in the fifteenth century if there had been no Maid of Orleans,. There are also people who try to explain such occurrences materialistically. Making them understand is impossible, because they arbitrarily give a materialistic meaning to what is obviously spiritual..."
                Anthroposophical Guidelines - R. Steiner