Re: Meat-eating in the light of anthroposophy

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 65 , May 2, 2009
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith" wrote:

      > > Ah, Frank! I see you gave them up long ago. How about fish?
      > >
      > > These are actually just rhetorical questions. I really
      > > have no interest or curiosity about what is or isn't on
      > > your plate. (No offense. It's just that it's your business,
      > > not mine.) I think Dr. Steiner's approach to food is
      > > pretty sensible. My brother recently got salmonella
      > > poisoning from eating steak tartar, which is something
      > > I wouldn't come near. On the other hand, I do still eat
      > > meat, although not as much anymore. (I love cheeseburgers.)
      > >
      > > Jenny
      > >
      > Ah Jenny, but you should be interested, or at least curious.
      > I'll put it this way:
      > 1. Meat is very unhealthy
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/health/28brod.html?em
      > Red meat contains deadly toxins - also toxins of fear.
      > 2. It's not necessary to consume it. (Many people still
      > think that meat is a necessary ingredient in a healthy diet,
      > when the opposite is true.)
      > 3. economically it's hard on the individual's purse and
      > disastrous for the world economy (see above article)
      > Where I live three cows consume more water daily than
      > the whole town's human population (300).
      > 4. It's ethically unsustainable, considering that animals
      > are routinely tortured in feed lots etc. before being
      > "humanely - ha!" kiled.
      > 5. Humans who work in the killing fields (slaughterhouses)
      > become dehumanized.
      > Fish: Ok, in moderation. They are barely sentient and
      > are said to be healthy as food. Even Jesus ate fish!
      > Frank

      I am astonished, dear Frank, that you could be so dismissive
      of the idea of meat-eating and yet not feel the same way
      about eating fish. How do you know they are "barely sentient"?
      Meat is "said to be healthy as food," too, you know.
      Well, the thing that I object to most about people who
      try to push vegetarianism on people (and no, I don't
      consider you one of those people) is the attitude these
      people display. It is one of "holier than thou" and of
      (sometimes) the very aggression and hostility they presume
      exists in meat eaters. Do you copy me? Again, I say that
      I do not see you as one of those aggressive anti- meat-eating
      people. On the other hand, your argument for eating fish
      but not meat doesn't hold water. :) In other words, it leaks.

      Jenny
    • holderlin66
      Message 65 of 65 , May 11, 2009
        But you win the "Rudolf"
        (anthropop Oscar) for the worst poem written in the 5th post-Atlantis
        cultural
        age.

        Bradford comments;

        I accept that honor. I found that while Tarjei sent a juvenile missive,
        I thought, well I would respond in kind. I made as little effort as my
        poet pen pal Tarjei and I just wasn't in the mood to be as funny and
        full of sarcasm as I should have been. I apparently wasn't on my game,
        so I accept this award along with my other trophies for all my other
        pitiful performances and hope that there are still sloppy, crappy poets
        out there who can scale and overcome my sterling achievements. I look
        forward to the contests.