Re: My Viewpoint on Ramana Maharshi's Atma Vichara

  • Mike helsher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2009
      Thanks for this Ben. I've been watching John's videos and I find is demeanor and simple character fascinating. The simple practice of paying attention to who you really are, as opposed to believing in all the bullshit stuck inside us that stems from our ravenously sick societies.

      Rudolf Steiner posed many different methods of inquiry, albeit in seemingly more complicated ways. In his time, intellectual madness was beginning to become itself by isolating from truth and breeding like a virus that has now covered our planet and blinded the eyes of billions.

      John does mention that there are two approaches to his simple renditions of Self inquiry. The first, as you mention, to focus on the question of "who an I really." which I wrote a poem about recently:

      Who am I?

      A conglomeration of facts by numbers, genes, and
      societal conditionings?
      A story lived in a society believed into existence by
      people who have lost themselves,
      in their own tools of perception?
      Tools that replicate themselves in creeds and norms,
      so often added and subtracted
      and dissected to a still limited understanding.
      And some choose to believe what is left, lying at
      the bottom of the barrel -
      A demented understanding of our shared humanity
      – for sale!

      Truth often gets diluted and blended into beliefs by
      the masses, and what we believe manifests...
      And here we are, living in a world so beautiful and
      wondrous, with so much self inflated horror and misery.

      What are you really? Who am I?

      And I feel that Steiners "A Philosophy of Spiritual Activity" http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA004/English/AP1986/GA004_index.html Is a method of inquiry that will bring any honest readers raging intellect to is knees, and back to being a servant, or "the plow" as Thoreau put it, not the field itself:

      "They are free insofar as they follow only themselves, unfree, insofar as they surrender themselves. Who of us can say that he is really free in all his actions? But in each one of us dwells a deeper being, in whom the free person expresses himself."

      The other direction is to focus on the angst that so lives in so many these days. Steiner called it the "the Guardian of the threshold" Or "the double" and sees this as a major barrier to realizing higher worlds within our selves.

      That's all the time I have right now. I appreciate synergy.

      Best

      Mike