The good cop, the bad cop, and the suspect

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
      Dear subscribers,

      I once subscribed to a list where a dispute arose about what was on-topic
      and what wasn't. During the turmoil, a fellow subscriber asked me if we
      should play "the good cop, bad cop" routine from his favorite TV shows. I
      declined after the following consideration:

      The good cop offers the suspect a cup of coffee and says he'll talk the bad
      cop out of beating him up if he 'cooperates' by turning traitor on his
      trusting friends. He even offers him reduced charges and maybe to give back
      to him some of the dope. So the good cop must be Ahriman with the Faustian
      bargain and the bad cop Lucifer with a hot temper, right?

      If you're with me so far in identifying the bad cop as Lucifer and the good
      cop as Ahriman, I would like to present to you an anarchosophical riddle:

      Who is the suspect?

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/
    • Dag Horntvedt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
        --- Tarjei Straume <anthrouncle@c...> wrote:

        > Who is the suspect?

        Each one of us. Living here on earth is - in a way being a suspect.
        I have to prove I am doing "the right thing". IMHO the right thing
        is do do what I- for myself - see that I should do. The Good Book
        says something like: the only sin there is no forgivness for is the
        sin against the Holy Spirit. The HS being what I percieve as being
        the right thing to do. In not doing this I take upon me somthing I
        must carry - forever?
        The good and the bad cop is there to teach me that there is only one
        way in life and that is to find out for you self.

        Dag Horntvedt
      • Tarjei Straume
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
          At 13:26 06.11.2003, Dag wrote:

          >--- Tarjei Straume <anthrouncle@c...> wrote:
          >

          > > Who is the suspect?
          >
          >Each one of us.

          Not bad at all. Each one of us, however, carries the good cop and the bad
          cop as well. So they're in all each one of us in a sense. The answer I had
          in mind for the anarchosophical riddle is: Christ. There are three of them
          in the interrogation chamber, right? One (the good cop) is Ahriman, the
          other (the bad cop) is Lucifer, so the third one (the suspect) has to be
          Christ. And if we remind ourselves of the scene where Christ stands before
          Pilate in the very role of the suspect, and that he was actually given the
          option of getting off the hook by defending himself against the charges,
          the analogy becomes a little clearer.

          This is something to be kept in mind by anyone involved in a judicial
          process like jury duty. There is an exceøøent article by Michael E.
          Coughlin about this, entitled "The Jury: Defender Or Oppressor"

          http://www.uncletaz.com/liberty/jury.html

          Cheers,

          Tarjei
          http://uncletaz.com/