Job

  • Mike helsher
    Message 1 of 71 , Jan 15, 2009
      Please excuse me when I say that I will never encourage my children ,
      or anyone else, to "get a Job." The job mindset has taken humanity by
      the throat and is widely considered the Nobel path in our so called
      "civil society." "We must keep doing" says the insane collective voice
      of progress. It is of no coincidence to me that "The Book of Job" and
      the English word 'job' have something in common; something on a much
      deeper level than just spelling.

      I can imagine the intellectual pin-headedness now, shouting blasphemy
      from high atop the intellectual mountains of rotting souls of men and
      women, who in their un-knowingness, deposited the best part of
      themselves into the heartless furnace of industry. Industry on a
      massive scale, that is now engulfing the planet with "justifiable
      insanity."

      Personal industry, on a private or community level is another matter:
      As many a person who still cherishes the memories of being appreciated
      for their assets and contributions will confess. In ways that connect
      to the circuitry of a conscious experience of human Life, like no
      paycheck ever will. How droll the common phrase, "living paycheck to
      paycheck." Not to mention the idea of living credit card bill to
      credit card bill and the perpetual motion of that soulless enterprise.

      What we are taught is what we get and most education systems are
      finely tuned to produce mindless consumers and producers. But when we
      step into the highest form of education, the art of educating one's
      self, we step into learning from the inside out. But how do we learn
      from the inside, as opposed to memorizing the belief systems of our
      parents, religions, countries and societies?

      I have had from a very young age an inkling of a feeling for
      independence. This is something that I believe exists within every
      reasonably healthy human being. No matter how much the collective
      insanity tries to bury it, it is still there. Stronger perhaps in some
      than others , but there none the less. It is from this inner urge
      that, if listened to, though it is ever so slight, I began to learn
      and experience truth.

      I bought into the consumer culture lifestyle slowly as a result of
      getting married and having children. In the course of 5 years we had a
      house with a built in pool, an RV, 2.2 kids, a golden retriever, a cat
      and we went an many coveted vacations. It was a time when I would earn
      more money than I ever had prior. But the payoff came at a big price.
      As the need for more became bigger I had to work more and spend more
      to keep up with the Jones's.

      It was the darkest period of this lifetime form an inner soul spirit
      perspective, perhaps because I had on occasion over many years, taken
      to reading some spiritually alive books, and participating in some
      spiritually alive practices. Something almost un-explainable happened
      to me in the midst of this dark experience. Something became activated
      in me. What happened to me was an act of grace - an un-merited gift.
      It was felt as an experience of an inner knowing so beautiful, and so
      much a part of who I am: so ultimately peaceful and intrinsically
      non-judgmental that it moved me to tears then, as it is now - some ten
      years later. For about a week I experienced the presence of bliss that
      was "not of this world." Eventually the presence lessened and I fell
      back into an experience of so called normal human life in the USA. But
      the memory is branded into my soul, and the common idea of a job, will
      forever be seen now, from and through that divinely gifted moment.

      I concede that In our time a job could be seen as necessary perhaps,
      as was Job's horrendous plight and the lessons learned from it. But
      the idea of a job as generally understood and practiced in many
      consumer societies will be considered as immoral to posterity as 18'th
      century slavery seems to us now.

      I would not sooner go back to the second grade then I would settle for
      a job, as so many do, just to get by. The alternatives and solutions
      are many, but they must be truly sought and considered by individuals
      who value the art of self education. Sacrifices my be necessary
      because our societies will not reward true freedom as of yet, but life
      will!

      Blood flows through our veins and nurtures every part of our body. If
      the circulation gets cut off in some part, the entire body suffers,
      and can become crippled. Such is the case with our dominant societies,
      and no intellectual ideology has yet been able to fix them. They are
      crippled and will die. What will be born out of the ashes?

      Mike
    • Mike helsher