Re: On behalf of the very old and the very young

  • val2160
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs"
      <write3chairs@...> wrote:

      > Frank and Ottmar were talking here recently and
      > Frank asked, "And who uses snail-mail these days?"

      > I thought about my 100-year-old great aunt who
      > now has an e-mail address at an assisted living
      > center. I presume one of the staff members will
      > push Aunt Ruth in her wheelchair to a computer
      > somewhere on the premises and then log on for her,
      > read the messages out loud, then type a reply for her.
      > And with her diminished ability to understand and
      > comprehend things, I wonder whether she will actually
      > know what is taking place. She barely recognizes
      > people when we come to see her. I e-mailed her at
      > the new address but haven't heard anything back.

      Well, first of all how great is that that you have a great aunt whose
      100 years old? Wow! We skype the relatives-they like that-especially the
      ones in the Netherlands because they've always been sort of
      voyeuristic.

      > Similarly, we have the very young going online.
      >
      > ---
      >
      > Social networking sites cater to moms and babies
      >
      > Monday, December 1, 2008
      > By MALLARY JEAN TENORE / The Dallas Morning News
      >
      > By the time Abagail Kanter was 2 ½ months old, she had friends her
      > age from around the country.
      >
      > She has never met these infants, but she has received messages from
      > them on TotSpot, a social networking site for babies.
      >
      > "Hi, Abbie!" reads one message from Abagail's friend Olivia. "Any
      > good burps or [gas] lately? I've had a bunch today." "When I
      > stretch," Abagail responded, "I leave some good burps and [gas]."
      >
      > The messages, of course, are from parents, usually moms, who say
      > sites such as TotSpot provide them with time-saving alternatives to
      > play dates and face-to-face relationships, while helping them connect
      > with parents and children in nontraditional ways.
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      > The site is set up much like Facebook or MySpace, where members can
      > keep friends informed with photos and status updates. Just as
      > Facebook users can virtually "poke" each other, TotSpot babies
      > can "tickle" each other, meaning they send a message to friends
      > saying, "You've been tickled!"
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/totspace
      >
      > ---
      >
      > It's just kind of odd, isn't it? And sad, too.
      >
      > Jennifer

      I think having an infant or toddler at home can be very isolating so I
      can see benefits of moms connecting with other moms. The thing is that
      there really ARE differences in various cultures regarding birth and
      child rearing so you can end up talking about things everyone has in
      common-in this case-that all babies, everywhere, burp and have gas.-Val