Wackos roaming wild (was: Anthroposophy-world + guidleines)

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
      You know, Frank, this story you're telling us about the people manning the bridge of a public Yahoo anthro-group actually pushing the self-destruct button and then abandoning ship amidst a cosmic Nova-like explosion with all those anthro-wackos now flying around in the galaxies in their one- or two-person shuttles, threatening to descend upon other unsuspecting public groups --

       -- Wow, what a tremendous occurence in cyberspace that was...

      This has, of course, forced me to think hard about the matter, and others may have wondered, What else could Frank and Jo Ann have done? Well, done is done, no turning back here to reconsider anything, but perhaps we can learn from it or something...

      Now, it's an admirable policy not to deny entry to any wackos and never remove any of them, and when this policy is pursued to the point of blowing up the entire Enterprise instead of offending one single wacko, my admiration for this idealism is even greater...

      Any wacko can, of course, start his or her own Yahoo group with a little mouseclick -- there's a button in the upper right corner that says "Start a Group," so why don't they start one and call it, say, Anthroposophy for Wackos or something?

      On the other hand, Frank, you had them -- not all of them, but at least a chunk --  and instead of blasting them all into the cyber-stratosphere, where they are now roaming wild and threatening the peace of other groups, you could have quarantined them by changing the Group Settings from Public or Restricted to Closed. This change is irreversible, but I believe this option makes the archives available to members only -- in this case, wackos and their keepers only. This type of quarantine might have spared not only other groups from roaming wackos and space cadets in their interstellar shuttles; it might also have spared the unsuspecting surfers the ordeal of coming across their wacky messages. Next, you could have put a wacko in charge of the irreversibly closed Yahoo-group, and then we would all have a place to send those wackos and space cadets who are only disturbing the peace everywhere else. (In addition, they should also be given directions to the hole, of course.)

      Just a few thoughts that hit me while I was singing in the shower or something, buddy.

      Cheers,

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
        <coolvibes@...> wrote:

        > Any wacko can, of course, start his or her own Yahoo group with a little
        > mouseclick -- there's a button in the upper right corner that says
        > "Start a Group," so why don't they start one and call it, say,
        > Anthroposophy for Wackos or something?

        F: Nah, they'd never do that, then they'd only have themselves. First
        they'd fight over who's moderator, finally they'd come to the
        conclusion that they'd all be moderators, then they'd start nuking
        each other until there's only THE ONE left. Is that good? Sure, but
        they can foresee it.

        T: On the other hand, Frank, you had them -- not all of them, but at least
        > a chunk -- and instead of blasting them all into the
        > cyber-stratosphere, where they are now roaming wild and threatening the
        > peace of other groups, you could have quarantined them by changing the
        > Group Settings from Public or Restricted to Closed. This change is
        > irreversible, but I believe this option makes the archives available to
        > members only -- in this case, wackos and their keepers only. This type
        > of quarantine might have spared not only other groups from roaming
        > wackos and space cadets in their interstellar shuttles; it might also
        > have spared the unsuspecting surfers the ordeal of coming across their
        > wacky messages. Next, you could have put a wacko in charge of the
        > irreversibly closed Yahoo-group, and then we would all have a place to
        > send those wackos and space cadets who are only disturbing the peace
        > everywhere else. (In addition, they should also be given directions to
        > the hole, of course.)

        Excellent idea, complicated though. First I'd have to warn all the
        non-wackos (and there were a few) to duck (a.k.a. unsubscribe), else
        they'd be stuck for all eternity with the anthro-wackos. Of course
        there are the usual harmless anthro-wackos who may be tolerated. And
        there are the malicious ones. You know, Taz, like cholesterol.
        Thanks for the advice - too late as usual.
        Frank
      • val2160
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
          You know, Frank, this story you're telling us about the people manning the bridge of a public Yahoo anthro-group actually pushing the self-destruct button and then abandoning ship amidst a cosmic Nova-like explosion with all those anthro-wackos now flying around in the galaxies in their one- or two-person shuttles, threatening to descend upon other unsuspecting public groups --

           -- Wow, what a tremendous occurence in cyberspace that was...

          > This has, of course, forced me to think hard about the matter, and
          > others may have wondered, What else could Frank and Jo Ann have done?
          > Well, done is done, no turning back here to reconsider anything, but
          > perhaps we can learn from it or something...

          I saw that episode and you can't really blame Captain Kirk for leaving the bridge because:

          William Shatner

        • val2160
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 3, 2008
            <eltrigal78@...> wrote:

            > Excellent idea, complicated though. First I'd have to warn all the
            > non-wackos (and there were a few) to duck (a.k.a. unsubscribe), else
            > they'd be stuck for all eternity with the anthro-wackos. Of course
            > there are the usual harmless anthro-wackos who may be tolerated. And
            > there are the malicious ones. You know, Taz, like cholesterol.
            > Thanks for the advice - too late as usual.
            > Frank

            I don't understand what you mean. If a group is closed to the public it
            doesn't mean that you can't unsubscribe from it and if it's closed for
            good-you can still unsubscribe-as I just did from the ark.-Val
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2008
              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "val2160" <wdenval@...>
              wrote:

              > <eltrigal78@> wrote:
              >
              > > Excellent idea, complicated though. First I'd have to warn all the
              > > non-wackos (and there were a few) to duck (a.k.a. unsubscribe), else
              > > they'd be stuck for all eternity with the anthro-wackos. Of course
              > > there are the usual harmless anthro-wackos who may be tolerated. And
              > > there are the malicious ones. You know, Taz, like cholesterol.
              > > Thanks for the advice - too late as usual.
              > > Frank
              >
              > I don't understand what you mean. If a group is closed to the public it
              > doesn't mean that you can't unsubscribe from it and if it's closed for
              > good-you can still unsubscribe-as I just did from the ark.-Val

              C'mon Val, you've been around long enough to recognize a Taz group
              when you see one.
              f.

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 3, 2008

                Anthro-wacky nut-cadets arrive from cyberspace.
                Some of them are genderless, and they rarely have a face.
                They're anthro-babbling fruitcake dreams to torch the world aflame.
                They say they're quite claivoyant 'cause they're hoping for some fame.

                The Vorstand is quite worried about nut-cadet attacks.
                Some anthro-trolls are viruses, other ones are hacks.
                They've covered the Goetheanum roof with wackoproofing gear,
                They've alerted the authorities, but they refuse to hear.

                The Yahoo Groups are frantic, and they don't know what to do.
                Quarantine them maybe, or put them in a zoo.
                Red alert is on, and there's an awful lot of screeches -
                Around all anthro-forums cling those sticky wacky leeches!

                Anthro-wacky nut-cadets are roaming around wild.
                They try to get inside your head - bedevilled and beguiled!
                Their purpose is to drive all normal people far away
                so they can boast and celebrate their wild Banana Day!

                The only thing to do is throw the wackos in the hole
                where they'll be slowly eaten by the vermin in control --
                Where darkness reigns and monsters roam so ugly and so rotten
                that every wacky fruitcake dream is puked on and forgotten.

                The following is an adaptation of Tiger! Tiger! by William Blake:

                Holeman! Holeman!
                by Uncle Taz

                Holeman! Holeman! smelling foul
                sending forth thy nasty howl:
                What immortal finger or toe
                Could frame thy sickening symmetry?

                In what dismal toilet deep
                When everyone else is fast asleep
                On what dark wings doest thou aspire?
                How art thou led by the Liar's Liar?

                Thy stinking breath, thy killer fart
                twist the sinews of thy rotten heart
                And when thy heart began to beat,
                What dread hand? & what dread feet?

                What the hammer? what the chain?
                In what furnace was thy brain?
                What the anvil? what dread grasp
                Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

                When the stars threw down their spears,
                And water'd heaven with their tears,
                Did he smile his work to see?
                Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 6, 2008
                  One of the real joys of having a child in public school is the really
                  great literature that I get to read. Here's an excerpt from this
                  weekend's reading assignment:

                  Zach's butt raised a butt-trumpet to it's mouth and blew a long,
                  loud note.
                  The whole crowd went silent.
                  Then Zach's butt began to speak.
                  "Brothers and sisters," it said quietly. "You know why I have
                  called you here, so let me get straight to the point. For too long we
                  have been forced to do the dirty work for the human race. For too long
                  we have been laughed at, smacked, pinched, kicked, sat on, and generally
                  regarded as figures of fun! For too long we have been denied our
                  rightful place on top of the neck where we belong!"
                  There was an enormous cheer from the crowd.
                  Zach blocked his nose and wiped his eyes. When one butt talks it's
                  bad enough, but when thousands talk at the same time, well, it's not
                  pleasant, to say the least.
                  After a few minutes the cheering died down.
                  "But what can we do?" said a bony butt in the front row. "We're
                  just butts."
                  Zach's butt stepped to the edge of the platform the flashlight
                  making it look more sinister than ever.
                  "No, my friend," it said. "Divided we are just butts, but united,
                  we have the potential to be the most powerful force on the planet. Right
                  now, on an island in the Sea of Butts, butts from all over the world are
                  working around the clock to fill an extinct volcano. When it is full, it
                  will become the greatest buttcano in the history of the world. And when
                  it erupts it will be devastating enough to knock out every human being
                  on Earth."
                  "That, my brothers and sisters," it said, "will be when we strike.
                  We will swap places with the heads and assume our rightful position on
                  top of the neck. By the time the humans come to, the Age of Butts will
                  have begun and there will be nothing anybody can do to stop us!"
                  The butts began cheering again.