On behalf of the very old and the very young

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2008
      Frank and Ottmar were talking here recently and
      Frank asked, "And who uses snail-mail these days?"

      I thought about my 100-year-old great aunt who
      now has an e-mail address at an assisted living
      center. I presume one of the staff members will
      push Aunt Ruth in her wheelchair to a computer
      somewhere on the premises and then log on for her,
      read the messages out loud, then type a reply for her.
      And with her diminished ability to understand and
      comprehend things, I wonder whether she will actually
      know what is taking place. She barely recognizes
      people when we come to see her. I e-mailed her at
      the new address but haven't heard anything back.

      Similarly, we have the very young going online.

      ---

      Social networking sites cater to moms and babies

      Monday, December 1, 2008
      By MALLARY JEAN TENORE / The Dallas Morning News

      By the time Abagail Kanter was 2 ½ months old, she had friends her
      age from around the country.

      She has never met these infants, but she has received messages from
      them on TotSpot, a social networking site for babies.

      "Hi, Abbie!" reads one message from Abagail's friend Olivia. "Any
      good burps or [gas] lately? I've had a bunch today." "When I
      stretch," Abagail responded, "I leave some good burps and [gas]."

      The messages, of course, are from parents, usually moms, who say
      sites such as TotSpot provide them with time-saving alternatives to
      play dates and face-to-face relationships, while helping them connect
      with parents and children in nontraditional ways.

      <snip>

      The site is set up much like Facebook or MySpace, where members can
      keep friends informed with photos and status updates. Just as
      Facebook users can virtually "poke" each other, TotSpot babies
      can "tickle" each other, meaning they send a message to friends
      saying, "You've been tickled!"

      <snip>

      http://tinyurl.com/totspace

      ---

      It's just kind of odd, isn't it? And sad, too.

      Jennifer
    • val2160
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs"
        <write3chairs@...> wrote:

        > Frank and Ottmar were talking here recently and
        > Frank asked, "And who uses snail-mail these days?"

        > I thought about my 100-year-old great aunt who
        > now has an e-mail address at an assisted living
        > center. I presume one of the staff members will
        > push Aunt Ruth in her wheelchair to a computer
        > somewhere on the premises and then log on for her,
        > read the messages out loud, then type a reply for her.
        > And with her diminished ability to understand and
        > comprehend things, I wonder whether she will actually
        > know what is taking place. She barely recognizes
        > people when we come to see her. I e-mailed her at
        > the new address but haven't heard anything back.

        Well, first of all how great is that that you have a great aunt whose
        100 years old? Wow! We skype the relatives-they like that-especially the
        ones in the Netherlands because they've always been sort of
        voyeuristic.

        > Similarly, we have the very young going online.
        >
        > ---
        >
        > Social networking sites cater to moms and babies
        >
        > Monday, December 1, 2008
        > By MALLARY JEAN TENORE / The Dallas Morning News
        >
        > By the time Abagail Kanter was 2 ½ months old, she had friends her
        > age from around the country.
        >
        > She has never met these infants, but she has received messages from
        > them on TotSpot, a social networking site for babies.
        >
        > "Hi, Abbie!" reads one message from Abagail's friend Olivia. "Any
        > good burps or [gas] lately? I've had a bunch today." "When I
        > stretch," Abagail responded, "I leave some good burps and [gas]."
        >
        > The messages, of course, are from parents, usually moms, who say
        > sites such as TotSpot provide them with time-saving alternatives to
        > play dates and face-to-face relationships, while helping them connect
        > with parents and children in nontraditional ways.
        >
        > <snip>
        >
        > The site is set up much like Facebook or MySpace, where members can
        > keep friends informed with photos and status updates. Just as
        > Facebook users can virtually "poke" each other, TotSpot babies
        > can "tickle" each other, meaning they send a message to friends
        > saying, "You've been tickled!"
        >
        > <snip>
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/totspace
        >
        > ---
        >
        > It's just kind of odd, isn't it? And sad, too.
        >
        > Jennifer

        I think having an infant or toddler at home can be very isolating so I
        can see benefits of moms connecting with other moms. The thing is that
        there really ARE differences in various cultures regarding birth and
        child rearing so you can end up talking about things everyone has in
        common-in this case-that all babies, everywhere, burp and have gas.-Val