Re: Answer for letter 38657 Part V

  • ottmar12
    Message 1 of 89 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Frank,
      v. Beckerath's book on the reverse cultus is hard and dry bread
      indeed, but if you keep chewing it, little by little in a group, it
      is nourishing.
      The Anthr Soc and its constitution is still a topic, a gruesome topic
      for some. Beckerath quit this question, but he was traumatized by it
      I think and the machinations of the Vorstand and problems, scandals
      go on and on. I think it was last year that the Soc. sold part of the
      shares of Weleda to an investor in Zurich. Steiner wuerde sich im
      Grab umdrehen. The exact details were never published, how much they
      got for how many shares or percent and what the conditions are. Of
      course an investor wants profit and all assurances the investor won't
      interfer is of course nonsense of course . This selling was against
      all rules.
      V Beckerath surely isn't confrontional, just the opposite. His job
      was to start processes in companies, to bring opposing groups
      together, work on a better working climate and he was very successful
      at it. He worked for Waldorf schools and very big companies.
      We'll meet on Dec 13, then I'll give your regards. At the moment we
      don't phone so often. (We sometimes talked about his new book he's
      writing.)
      Ottmar

      <eltrigal78@...> wrote:

      > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ottmar12"
      > <ottmar12@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gruezi Frank,
      > Grueezi Ottmar,
      >
      > O: thanks for your letter. I do know Gerhard von Beckerath,
      acutally I m
      > > in a small study group with him, studying his book, trying to do
      it
      > > along the lines of the reverse cultus. Do you know this book? It
      s no
      > > easy reading, sometimes dense, cryptic. It is based on his work as
      > > 'communication counsellor' (I hope he would agree with this term).
      > > There is more on the topic of reverse cultus coming from the
      circle of
      > > friends around v Beckerath.
      >
      > F: I regret to say that I have not read the book. Possibly being
      > familiar with his style I unconsciously resisted the impulse to buy
      it
      > ;-) I have read articles and MSs of his on the subject however. I
      find
      > it extremely difficult to practice. Contrary to my authoritarian
      > temperament, I have been involved in many anthropop working groups
      > connected with Waldorf schools which – not always, but often – is a
      > debilitating experience. I still give a one-week course in group
      > dynamics in the Teacher Training Seminar in Buenos Aires, where I
      try
      > to warn the poor students about what they can expect in the real
      > W-world.
      >

      > O: He left the Soc. and quit the work on the constitution, it leads
      > > nowhere...
      > > Did you talk to him about the Christmas Conference and the ES? I
      found
      > > none so involved in this question, involved with his heart I
      mean. I
      > > was one of the happiest moments for me when we had time to talk
      about
      > > it on a long ride to the Bodensee.
      >
      > F: Yes, we did talk about it – and the Constitution Question of
      > course. If you'll send me your email address, and you're interested,
      > I'll send you an essay of his which sums up the very complex
      > Constitution situation from 1924 to 2002 (in German-sorry others).
      In
      > it he mentions a "Memorandum" of 1986 which started the ball
      rolling.
      > I was honored to work together on it with Gerhard and others (see
      > signatures).
      > See my translation of same at
      > http://southerncrossreview.org/39/memorandum-sm.htm . Rudolf Saacke
      > deserves much credit for revealing the facts, but he is
      > confrontational. As you know, von B. is just the opposite and the
      > Vorstand should have begged him for advice instead of going their
      own
      > really stupid way, which resulted in a law suit by a fringe group
      and
      > cost the Society a small fortune in legal fees. Now it's back where
      it
      > started from – 1925.
      >

      > > Thank you, that you confirmed what I said about the 1977 edition
      of
      > > the class. There were big discussions when the new edition
      appeared,
      > > it always sounded like traitor of the mysteries. Even the leaders
      of
      > > the Soc.. in Germany spoke as if the class had always and only
      been
      > > for the 'Lektoren' in the Soc. The publication of the class
      was the
      > > source of conflict between the AS and the Nachlassverein, but
      finally
      > > the AS agreed to a common foreword and gave its blessing to the
      > > publication. (I m too lazy to look it up in my copy and all the
      > > discussions in different magazines.)
      >
      > Yes, a blessing with much teeth grinding. In reality they had no
      > choice because the Nachlassverein was going to do it anyway. All
      this
      > is almost unknown and in any case not understood in the
      > non-German-speaking anthroposophical world. The Society still has
      its
      > "Readers", to which only the wanabee initiates have access. To a
      > certain extent it's a control mechanism (sorry for the cynicism).
      It's
      > still possible to expel someone from the Society, but a valid reason
      > is required. The School isn't a legally constituted body, so
      expulsion
      > is easy as pie.
      >
      > O: > For the esoteric Jugendkreis it was a much harder blow when
      their
      > > mantras were published, although also these texts were available
      > > those who really wanted to have them.
      > > And the priests of the christian community opposed even more
      strongly
      > > the publication of 'their' courses. I personally would accept that
      > > their 'brevier' their daily meditation book and mantras shouldn t
      have
      > > been published.
      > > Mrs Wiesberger is in an old people's home now, but still clear in
      her
      > > head.
      > > Herr von Beckerath impressed me deeply when he talked in modest
      words
      > > about his Christ experience for the first time in public, many
      years
      > > ago. He has an interesting biography, sure you know him. A great
      man.

      > F: Agreed. Please give him my best regards when you see him. I've
      been
      > out of contact for years. He had no email, probably still doesn't.
      And
      > who uses snail-mail these days?
      >
      > Best,
      > Frank
      > _____________________
      > >
      > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas
      Smith"
      > > <eltrigal78@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ottmar12"
      > > > <ottmar12@> wrote:
      > > > >

      > > > Hi, Ottmar. I find all the parts of these posts very
      interesting - but
      > > > would like to comment only about a piece of this one:
      > > >

      > > > O: X1 The class texts were not intended for individual study
      > though, but
      > that in
      > > said
      > right.
      > > >
      > > > F: I joined the Anthroposophical Society here in Argentina back
      in the
      > > > seventies - also became a Class member, which gave me
      the "right" to
      > > > listen to the Reader read. (The class lectures are still read
      here
      > > > once a month in German and in Spanish.) It didn't take me long
      > > > discover that the A.S. here was a bluff. But I thought, what
      the hell,
      > > > nothing works right in Argentina so why should the A.S. be an
      > > > exception. It must be different in Europe. I had already visited
      > > > Dornach several times and was absolutely enthralled by it, and
      by the
      > > > people.
      > > > Then I was transferred by my firm to Zurich, an hour away from
      the
      > > > Goetheanum, and my disillusionment began. I found that there
      were *2*
      > > > Anthroposopical Societies - the Goetheanum one and the Marie
      Steiner
      > > > one - die "anthroposophische Vereinigung in der Schweiz",
      directly
      > > > associated with the Nachlass (R. Steiner estate). My children
      attended
      > > > the R. Steiner school in Zurich, which was (is?) run by the
      Nachlass
      > > > people. I visited the leaders of both groups in an effort to
      decide
      > > > where I belonged. The A.S. in Switzerland is a branch of
      Dornach and I
      > > > got the usual wind. The Vereinigung guy was much more
      interesting,
      > > > gave me a thumbnail history on the M. Steiner - Vorstand
      conflict,
      > > > rights to Steiner's work, etc., etc. - a conflict which was
      still
      > > > ongoing, but I understand has now mellowed somewhat. Finally I
      asked
      > > > him who he thought would win. "They will," he said - to my
      surprise.
      > > > "Why?" I asked. "They have the Goetheanum," he replied. I
      decided to
      > > > stay away from both groups. Then I moved to Germany, where I
      found the
      > > > A.S. to be simply unbearable, at least to my temperament. I was
      about
      > > > to resign when I received information from von Beckerath about
      the
      > > > A.S.'s twisted Constitution situation. Aha! I thought. That's
      the
      > > > reason. So I fought together with von B. and others to change
      that
      > > > situation, without success. Finally I returned to Argentina,
      where the
      > > > A.S. hasn't changed much as far as I can tell, except that
      there are
      > > > fewer Germans, who have died...no: withered away.
      > > > In 1977 I asked the R.S. Verlag for the Class lectures, and Frau
      > > > Wiesberger said Ok, but they are for group study. Actually,
      that was
      > > > my intention, but it never happened because, well, they're in
      German,
      > > > and the few anthropops here who understand German considered
      > > > (consider?) having and using the lectures outside the anointed
      > > > Reader's authority sinful. A Spanish version exists, but is
      kept under
      > > > lock and key by the Reader. Maybe some day... My copy of the
      1997
      > > > edition is number 128.
      > > >
      > > > O:
      > anthroposophic
      > > Begegnung in
      > know one
      Gespraech als
      > > Bruderschaft
      > > >
      > > > F: You may know that Gerhard von Beckerath, and old friend and a
      > > > super-anthroposophist, resigned from the *General*
      Anthroposophical
      > > > Society in disgust after the recent "Constitution Crisis". I
      know
      > > > several more who did the same.
      > > > Frank

    • val2160
      Message 89 of 89 , Dec 18, 2008
        <eltrigal78@...> wrote:

        > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "val2160" wdenval@
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas
        Smith"

        > > http://www.physorg.com/news147615590.html
        > > <http://www.physorg.com/news147615590.html#>
        > > Myth about 'dirty old men' supported by science Middle-aged men
        want
        > > younger women, often touting their intelligence and their high
        income.
        > > This is shown in research at Gothenburg University and Oxford
        University
        > > that studied 400 lonely hearts ads to see how men and women choose
        > > partners.
        > > <http://physorg.tradepub.com/?pt=cat&page=_INTL>
        > Research
        > > in the theory of evolution includes a number of accepted theories
        about
        > > how men and women choose their partners.
        >
        > They had to spend good money to research that?

        It wasn't the first study of this kind that I found-just the most
        recent. Here's another article:

        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/3304\
        960/Men-have-evolved-to-choose-young-wives.html

        A team from Vienna University studied more than 11,600 Swedish men and
        women, aged 45-55, and their partners and found that relationships in
        which the man was six years older than the woman produced the most
        children - an average of 2.2.

        Women placed more emphasis on resources and status - leading them
        typically to choose older men.

        Martin Fieder, who led the team and whose research was published online
        by the Royal Society journal Biology Letters, said: "These findings may
        account for the phenomenon that men typically prefer and mate with women
        younger than themselves, whereas women usually desire and mate with men
        older than themselves.

        "We conclude that the age preference for the partner increases
        individual fitness of both men and women and may thus be an
        evolutionarily acquired trait."

        When the team examined those who had changed partners after the birth of
        their first child they found men ended up with women younger than their
        first choice, while women chose men who were younger than their first
        partner but still a little older than themselves.

        Mr Fieder said: "These findings support the reported age preferences of
        ageing men for increasingly younger women as well as of women for a
        partner just a little older than themselves.

        "We attribute the shift to a younger partner to a potential compensation
        for the fertility loss caused by the individuals' increasing age."
        >Cheese, I'd a telled em
        > fer nutting.

        Sorry to be the one to break it to you but your sample size would be too
        small.-Val