No smoking indoors

  • write3chairs@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
      That's funny, Tarjei. I never knew that song was about smoking on the upper level of a bus! Glad to hear you are having a good time in London. :)

      My daughter will play the role of Titania (queen of the fairies) in a production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," which runs the last week of July here in Dallas. The play will have a Bollywood theme. One of the directors is Indian and his mother is loaning some of her belongings to the actors. That director is issuing serious threats to anyone who damages anything!

      Cheers,
      Jennifer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs@..." <write3chairs@...> wrote:

        > That's funny, Tarjei. I never knew that song was about smoking on the upper level of a bus!

        I didn't understand that either until I lived there and enjoyed smoking on the upper level of those buses -- in those days, all Beatles lyrics were fresh in your memory, and "A Day in the Life" was a Lennon classic .......

        http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZez_k4vAzU

        But there's another somewhat less memorable piece of Beatles lyrics that suddenly dawned on me while taxicab-driving in Los Angeles in the early eighties. There's an area up in the hills, straight north from Westwood towards San Fernando Valley (wealthy area) with extremely tricky roads that look like labyrinths you'll get rewards from a newspaper if you solve. You've got to use a map book to find anything there, and I once had a passenger who was going to Blue Jay Way -- or I got a call to pick somebody up in Blue Jay Way, I don't remember exactly. After that experience, I understood precisely what the Beatles had been going through when George Harrison wrote a song with that title:

        Blue Jay Way

        There's a fog upon L.A.
        And my friends have lost their way
        We'll be over soon they said
        Now they've lost themselves instead.
        Please don't be long please don't you be very long
        Please don't be long or I may be asleep
        Well it only goes to show
        And I told them where to go
        Ask a policeman on the street
        There's so many there to meet
        Please don't be long please don't you be very long
        Please don't be long or I may be asleep
        Now it's past my bed I know
        And I'd really like to go
        Soon will be the break of day
        Sitting here in Blue Jay Way
        Please don't be long please don't you be very long
        Please don't be long or I may be asleep.
        Please don't be long please don't you be very long
        Please don't be long
        Please don't be long please don't you be very long
        Please don't be long
        Please don't be long please don't you be very long
        Please don't be long
        Don't be long - don't be long - don't be long
        Don't be long - don't be long - don't be long.

        http://youtube.com/watch?v=5WzvAuDONu0

        > Glad to hear you are having a good time in London. :)

        Make that the past tense -- it was only for the weekend.

        > My daughter will play the role of Titania (queen of the fairies) in a production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," which runs the last week of July here in Dallas.

        Love it! Say hi to your girl for me will ya? (Incidentally, my son is here with me now and he was with us to London too, he'll be one more year in Houston before moving back to Norway -- so he's the jet setter (not me, like Mike suggests) with eight or nine flights in one month. He got his Texas driver licence in January, so I'm making him do all the driving and I can drink wine :) He's got a neat 2007 Ford Mustang in Houston, but it's too expensive to bring back so he'll enjoy it for another year.

        About theater running time -- "The Lord of the Rings" has been running almost 500 performances, so I think they're closing down for good July 19 -- there may be a new production coming up in Germany, in the German language of course. (That will make the hole-dwellers hate it even more, because it makes it closer to Steiner, hehe.) But anyway, this means that the website for the London production may be down soon, so explore it while you still can:

        http://www.lotr.com/home/

        Cheers,

        Tarjei
      • write3chairs
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "elfuncle" wrote:

          >> That's funny, Tarjei. I never knew that song
          >> was about smoking on the upper level of a bus!
          >
          > I didn't understand that either until I lived there
          > and enjoyed smoking on the upper level of those buses --
          > in those days, all Beatles lyrics were fresh in your memory,
          > and "A Day in the Life" was a Lennon classic
          >
          > [cool double-decker bus picture]
          >
          > http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZez_k4vAzU
          >
          > But there's another somewhat less memorable piece of Beatles
          > lyrics that suddenly dawned on me while taxicab-driving in
          > Los Angeles in the early eighties. There's an area up in the
          > hills, straight north from Westwood towards San Fernando Valley
          > (wealthy area) with extremely tricky roads that look like
          > labyrinths you'll get rewards from a newspaper if you
          > solve. You've got to use a map book to find anything there,
          > and I once had a passenger who was going to Blue Jay Way --
          > or I got a call to pick somebody up in Blue Jay Way, I don't
          > remember exactly. After that experience, I understood precisely
          > what the Beatles had been going through when George Harrison
          > wrote a song with that title:
          >

          > Blue Jay Way
          >
          > There's a fog upon L.A.
          > And my friends have lost their way
          > We'll be over soon they said
          > Now they've lost themselves instead.
          > Please don't be long please don't you be very long
          > Please don't be long or I may be asleep
          > Well it only goes to show
          > And I told them where to go
          > Ask a policeman on the street
          > There's so many there to meet
          > Please don't be long please don't you be very long
          > Please don't be long or I may be asleep
          > Now it's past my bed I know
          > And I'd really like to go
          > Soon will be the break of day
          > Sitting here in Blue Jay Way
          > Please don't be long please don't you be very long
          > Please don't be long or I may be asleep.
          > Please don't be long please don't you be very long
          > Please don't be long
          > Please don't be long please don't you be very long
          > Please don't be long
          > Please don't be long please don't you be very long
          > Please don't be long
          > Don't be long - don't be long - don't be long
          > Don't be long - don't be long - don't be long.
          >
          > http://youtube.com/watch?v=5WzvAuDONu0

          Strange how we come to know certain things, isn't it? :)

          >> Glad to hear you are having a good time in London. :)
          >
          > Make that the past tense -- it was only for the weekend.
          >
          >> My daughter will play the role of Titania (queen of the fairies)
          >> in a production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," which runs the
          >> last week of July here in Dallas.
          >
          > Love it! Say hi to your girl for me will ya?

          Yes, I will! About to take her to rehearsal now, in fact.

          > (Incidentally, my son is here with me now and he was with
          > us to London too, he'll be one more year in Houston before
          > moving back to Norway -- so he's the jet setter
          > (not me, like Mike suggests) with eight or nine flights
          > in one month. He got his Texas driver licence in January,
          > so I'm making him do all the driving and I can drink wine :)
          > He's got a neat 2007 Ford Mustang in Houston, but it's too
          > expensive to bring back so he'll enjoy it for another year.

          That is wonderful! That you got to see him and that he's coming back
          to Norway soon. Tell him to hop in that Mustang and cruise on up to
          Dallas one day that week, okay? He'd enjoy it here and it would be so
          much fun to meet your son. :) http://juniorplayers.org/

          > About theater running time -- "The Lord of the Rings"
          > has been running almost 500 performances, so I think they're
          > closing down for good July 19 -- there may be a new production
          > coming up in Germany, in the German language of course.
          > (That will make the hole-dwellers hate it even more,
          > because it makes it closer to Steiner, hehe.) But anyway,
          > this means that the website for the London production may be
          > down soon, so explore it while you still can:
          >
          > http://www.lotr.com/home/

          Spectacular. Thank you!

          Jennifer