Re: Greetings from London

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14 7:05 AM
      I wrote:

      > -- so I wake up at 6 am and walk down Edgeware Rd to look for a
      > sidewalk cafe for coffe and smoke --

      Sorry about that, Londoners -- it's Edgware Road, not Edgeware, silly me.

      I'm back in Oslo now, got to catch my breath. I'll try to compose some
      sort of review for "The Lord of the Rings," but it's very difficult
      because it's the best I've seen in my life, absolutely devastating,
      knock-out, you sit there for three hours with your chin dropped down
      to your chest. And that's coming from someone who grew up in the
      theater and has seen very many West End musicals, including Hair,
      Jesus Christ Superstar, The Rocky Horror Show and so on. This show
      ends in a few days (July 19), but if it goes back up for another
      season, don't miss it for the world if you're anywhere near England.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14 9:09 AM
        I wrote:

        > you sit there for three hours with your chin dropped down
        > to your chest.

        With your jaw dropped, not your chin (which gives the impression
        you're falling asleep!) Physically impossible to fall asleep with
        those earbusting sound effects, orchestra, flash lightenings,
        incredible acrobatics with the actors flying up and down like
        marionettes in dazzling costumes, the army of the dark side dancing on
        crutches (giving the impression of being crippled, four-legged
        creatures) and stilts that must have had some sort of coiled springs
        jumping so high, doing **somersaults** on those stilts high up in the
        air -- and man could they sing!! And the trees reaching all the way to
        the top, speaking with deep, deep voices that resounded through the
        forest and through the auditorium -- their use of tall stilts and
        hidden platforms and revolving stage defied the law of gravity, the
        night sky on the backdrop with the moon was unbelievably life-like,
        and there was lightening effects and smoke -- I say movies go home,
        they're feeble, pale and tame in comparison to this. This musical
        stage production is the only justice done to the inner pictures you
        get when reading the trilogy. I had no idea it was possible to åull
        something like this off in a theater -- pure genius.

        Ah, very early in the story, Bilbo puts the ring on and becomes
        **instantly** invisible, and man how they pulled that off. And the
        green monster Gollum, played by Michael Therriault, blows you away,
        his battle with himself, fantastic body language and costume and
        make-up, geeeeeeezzz.

        More later.