Re: Greetings from London

  • Simone
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2008

      Hi Tarjei,

      Glad to know you're having fun. I was missing you and wondering why you hadn't post in these last days. Cyberhugs to her almighty!

      Have a wonderful time,

      Simone

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "elfuncle" <coolvibes@...> wrote:

      > Hey folks,
      >
      > I'm at some Hilton hotel in London with the whole family to see the
      > musical "Lord of the Rings" tonight at Drury Lane --
      > http://www.lotr.com/ -- You know, we've got to feed that Tolkien
      > racism of ours ;) and get som fresh inspiration for new musicals of
      > our own featuring the nasty choir of the hole-devils....
      >
      > Haven't been in London for 35 years when I spent 5 years here (1970-
      > 1975). It's fascinating, no smoking indoors (including the top floor
      > of the buses that I enjoyed so much --
      >
      > Made the bus in seconds flat
      > Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
      > Somebody spoke and I went into a dream
      >
      > -- so I wake up at 6 am and walk down Edgeware Rd to look for a
      > sidewalk cafe for coffe and smoke -- this is an Arab section and
      > nobody speaks English so I keep walking until I find an Egyption
      > sidewalk cafe with some lively folks inviting me to their table -- an
      > elderly Christian Arab guy who is very philosophical and talks about
      > the ancient greek and Mesopotamia and what have you, a young Gypsy
      > from Romania who originally came to the UK on a fake Norwegian
      > passport of all things, a young lady with an Eastern European accent -
      > - no Brits in this part of town, and here's the clincher: Like I
      > said, I was looking for a place where I could have a coffee and a
      > smoke, and the Egyptian cafe owners have put out three huuuuuge
      > hookas, water pipes --- huge! -- for the guests to pass around
      > amongst themselves to enjoy with their tea or booze or whatever. I'm
      > offered whiskey and a puff, but I say no thank you because it's not
      > even seven in the morning, and I have a long day ahead, a family day
      > (they're all asleep back at the hotel). I learn later that what
      > they're probably smoking in those huge conspicuous contraptions is
      > regular sweet tobacco, but it doesn't really matter because it's all
      > sort of legal here anyway, at least in this part of town.....
      >
      > Tarjei

    • Mike Helsher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2008
        Oh you bourgeois jet-setter you! I've been flirting with a women from London lately. I should hook you two up so that you can interagate her for me before she comes to AZ...:)

        Hey, I'll bet that there are some very old hidden Waldorf basements in London. Perhaps you could sniff a few out and report back...:)

        Interesting that a new friend of mine has offered to let me stay in their little cottage on the English coast this coming fall for free. I'm thinking that it might be a good place to include on my up-coming year long back packing sojourn. Only bummer is it's a little hard to hitch hike to England. But I can hitch to New-England and perhaps catch a cheap boat ride across the pond. Remember when messages form across the Atlantic would take 6 to 8 weeks to cross? What a different world we live in.

        And here's a little ditty that's in line with all the talk about "the power of Now" that's been around the world lately,
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvd3kaupZ60&mode=related&search=

        "smoke if ya got-em"

        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2008
          I wrote:

          > -- so I wake up at 6 am and walk down Edgeware Rd to look for a
          > sidewalk cafe for coffe and smoke --

          Sorry about that, Londoners -- it's Edgware Road, not Edgeware, silly me.

          I'm back in Oslo now, got to catch my breath. I'll try to compose some
          sort of review for "The Lord of the Rings," but it's very difficult
          because it's the best I've seen in my life, absolutely devastating,
          knock-out, you sit there for three hours with your chin dropped down
          to your chest. And that's coming from someone who grew up in the
          theater and has seen very many West End musicals, including Hair,
          Jesus Christ Superstar, The Rocky Horror Show and so on. This show
          ends in a few days (July 19), but if it goes back up for another
          season, don't miss it for the world if you're anywhere near England.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14, 2008
            I wrote:

            > you sit there for three hours with your chin dropped down
            > to your chest.

            With your jaw dropped, not your chin (which gives the impression
            you're falling asleep!) Physically impossible to fall asleep with
            those earbusting sound effects, orchestra, flash lightenings,
            incredible acrobatics with the actors flying up and down like
            marionettes in dazzling costumes, the army of the dark side dancing on
            crutches (giving the impression of being crippled, four-legged
            creatures) and stilts that must have had some sort of coiled springs
            jumping so high, doing **somersaults** on those stilts high up in the
            air -- and man could they sing!! And the trees reaching all the way to
            the top, speaking with deep, deep voices that resounded through the
            forest and through the auditorium -- their use of tall stilts and
            hidden platforms and revolving stage defied the law of gravity, the
            night sky on the backdrop with the moon was unbelievably life-like,
            and there was lightening effects and smoke -- I say movies go home,
            they're feeble, pale and tame in comparison to this. This musical
            stage production is the only justice done to the inner pictures you
            get when reading the trilogy. I had no idea it was possible to åull
            something like this off in a theater -- pure genius.

            Ah, very early in the story, Bilbo puts the ring on and becomes
            **instantly** invisible, and man how they pulled that off. And the
            green monster Gollum, played by Michael Therriault, blows you away,
            his battle with himself, fantastic body language and costume and
            make-up, geeeeeeezzz.

            More later.