Southern Cross Review Nr. 60

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2008

      Dear A_Ters,

      The July-August issue of Southern Cross Review has finally arrived on your cyber-doorstep. Hurry to http://SouthernCrossReview.org and give a tip to the delivery boy before he jets off to Mars.

      The Editor's Page offers another "true tale", this time about how the army tried to make a man of me.

      What's Bob Dylan up to? Backing Barack Obama – among other things. Check out the recent interview.

      In "Features" Doris Lessing expresses her widely shared doubts about how modern music affects our psyches (bilingual).

      Gaither Stewart spotlights T.S. Eliot's "Murder in the Cathedral" to expound some uncomplimentary opinions about the Catholic Church and the USA . Ken McClure philosophizes about poetry and consciousness.

      In "Current Events" Pepe Aliaschev, a well known Argentine journalist, has some nice things to say about the USA – thanks to Barack Obama. This is especially interesting because the reputation of the United States in Argentina – and about everywhere else – is as far down in the dumps as it can go. Also because Gaither Stewart, an American, soundly bashes America , whereas Aliaschev, an Argentinean, praises its ability to change. In the same section James Ridgeway sees a reflection of Bobby Kennedy in Obama, Rick Shenkman wonders about the virtues of democracy when such a long percentage of (American) voters know more about Homer Simpson than the candidates, and Chip Ward warns of the dangerous radioactive nuclear energy activities in the American West.

      After all that heavy stuff you may now relax in the "Fiction" lounge with a weird Chess Game by Herman Hesse, a story about the dirty war in Argentina by Frank Thomas Smith and the continuation of George Orwell's " 1984" .

      In "Anthroposophy" Keith Francis's third and final lecture on Alchemy and Anthroposophy appears, as well as more of Rudolf Steiner's Guidelines.

      Poetry: How many of you have actually read John Donne's poetic piece from which "For Whom the Bell Tolls" derives? Here's your chance. We also offer a bilingual chapter of the Argentine epic poem "Martín Fierro".

      Under "Books", I tell of my tardy but intense love affair with Doris Lessing.

      A Movie Review of "Ironman" by Nick Turse is really an essay about what the movie has to say about Hollywood 's relationship with the military-industrial complex.

      Enjoy!

      Frank

      http://SouthernCrossReview.org

    • Robert Mason
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2008
        For those who are wont to gush over Obama . . .

        Theres' some good news and some bad news:

        In a way, Obama already *is* President; the
        Neocons are on the way out, and the Trilaterals
        are already in . .. and the attack on Iran is
        apparently off for once and for all ... .

        but ...

        The US is already bombing nuclear-armed Pakistan,
        and the Pakis don't like it . . . and we may
        be headed toward a war with Russia that will
        make the projected war with Iran look like
        a stroll in the park.

        See:
        <http://rense.com/general82/uspol.htm>

        . . . get on our knees and pray